Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a Hurricane amp and I'm delighted with the sound and quality so far. However i have a problem. When playing at low volumes and I hit an E or G i get this nasty hissing noise. Now I cant really describe it properly but it deffenitly shouln't be there. I suppose it sounds like something very small and metalic vibrating very fast but queitly. I think its somehting taht loose inside the amp somewhere vibrating rapidly from the sound and the fact it note dependent, could it be something in the reverb unit? Has anyone ever had this problem before? I recall hearing somehting similar with a boogie nomad before. I'm wondering if theres a quick fix or if anyone might know where in the amp to look.

Cheers

Al

·
Registered
291 Posts
Either...
A) Bring the amp back, and get a replacement.
B) Tighten up any visible screws...

Note specific? Sympathetic vibration... It's like when your at band practice, and your bass player plays a B, and your drummer's snare vibrates from it, but not from an E, which is lower and bassier.

One more thing, i had a similar problem with my amp... Peavey 5150... Turns out, i added to much bass to the mix, and it was causing the speaker cable's screw on plug cover to vibrate loose from the plug making a similar sound to what you described. But since your at low volume, it shouldn't matter.

Other than that, there's no solution... asumming of course you've plugged into other amps to ensure it's not the guitar.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I got the amp second hand, and I just found the problem! The muppet that last chenged the preamp tubes put the cover over the tube, but the spring didnt go over it, rather to the side, if you get me. So that was bouncing about against the tube gover lol. All solved :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Wow good job, that would explain the metalic sound, usally you hear that when tapping the tube to check if its ok... glad its ok, I just bought all new tubes for my boogie, 7 in all. plus got 2 more for my seporate peramp & effects processor.

Happy Jammin :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.