Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any brands that really stand out as being better than the others. I've heard good things about JJ's and Svetlana are good. I've not heard anything good about Sovtec.

A friend of mine uses Mesa tubes which are more expensive than the ones above and they are just Sovtek's (Preamp) and a Chinese (Power amp) tubes tested to their standard. If Sovtek's aren't great I don't see how they could make them good.

I'll be using them in a 5150 II for metal and insturmental.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
jjs are pretty widely used . www.eurotubes.com has jjs . I have heard that mesa tubes are crap myself . Of course i have heard jjs called crap .

My point is tubes are subjective . IT is hard to know what you'll like until you try them . Tubes now are only made in like 3 or 4 different factories , and tube making as a hole isn't near as good as it was like say back in the mid to later 50s . That is the reason why NOS tubes sell for so much .

I have heard alot of good about jjs though i have heard them called crap i have used them and they are good tubes. Bob at eurotubes will get you set up if you do decide on jj . i have played mesas with mesa tubes and they sounded fine but i'd like to know how tey sound with like jj or EH tubes.

guitarpartdepot.com has PM brand tubes, i dont know much about them but they are suppose to be made in England i think. EH i belive are made here in America .

·
Registered
962 Posts
I stick with JJ's, Electro Harmonix, and Svetlanas.

I'd avoid chinese, Sovtek, Mesa, and Groove Tubes.

Mesa and Groove tubes pick out the best tubes from Sovtek and China. So . . you may have a better tube than the rest of its brothers, but you still ain't got nothing when you put it next to a JJ or a Svetlana.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
As for power amp tubes, the SED "Winged C" tubes are hands down the best new power tubes you can buy -not the Svetlanas - they may be owned by Svetlana, but they are not the same thing or quality! The guy who does work on my amps said the one tube that Groove Tubes makes, a 6L6 will sound almost as good as a SED 6L6, but they last longer. My friend did have a couple pairs of them and they did not last him more than a couple weeks of hardly playing, so I am convinced they are not worth the extra cost.

As for preamps I buy all RFTs. They sound like Mullards and cost a fraction the price. If you don't want to pay $25 a pop, JJs are smooth and Electro Harmonix are loud and gainy.

I would not recommend Sovtek tubes to anyone. Some of the Chinese tubes are much better, but some are much worse - most tubes from China are just labeled as Chinese but made by completely different manufacturers.

And Groove Tubes charges way too much. You can get matched pairs on online stores like thetubestore.com or tubedepot.com without the extra Groove Tubes cost, and more than that you know exactly what tube you are getting. With Groove Tubes, sometimes they tell you its a Sovtek, and sometimes they just say Russian, which is vague. They also do not rebrand SEDs either and they charge more.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
wallie! said:
speaking of tubes, whats the difference between the EL34's and those 6L6EC's or whatever their called :(
most amps now can handle both the el34 and 6l6gc powertubes . Some can't though . As far as sound differences go the 6l6gc usually has bigger bass responce and is a little more boomy sounding . The el34 tends to be a little less boomy and be more mid complex. The 34 tends to be a bit punchier.

the integrated quad set-up like bob has going is a pretty cool idea . One day when i have money to burn i am going to get the bias mod done to my 5150 and have some kt88s and 6l6s put in it .

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the integrated quad set-up like bob has going is a pretty cool idea . One day when i have money to burn i am going to get the bias mod done to my 5150 and have some kt88s and 6l6s put in it .[/QUOTE]

I'm having Slipknot's amp tech do the bias mod on my 5150 II next week and putting Bob's standard 5150 set in, I can't wait to hear it.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
jra2217 said:
most amps now can handle both the el34 and 6l6gc powertubes.
An amp that will work with EL34s will work with 6550s, 6L6s, or KT88s. These are generally 100 watt amps, where 120 watt amps have too much wattage for EL34s. Of course you can get a bias mod done so it works with EL34s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.