Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want an all-tube practice amp with the specs in the title, think you guys could make help me out? I tried the Laney LC15, wasn't impressed, not sure about the Laney VC15 though. Either way, I'm looking for more of an American sound, not a fan of British crunch tones. How does their Lionheart line sound? I'm willing to buy used (good condition).

Rivera amps sound like what I'm looking for, but look too expensive/loud for me. I recently heard of Traynor amps too, but have no idea how they'd fit the bill.

Help?

Actually, I just checked out the Lionheart stuff, wow it sounds almost too good to be true. Except the PRICE! geez.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If you don't like british tones, I would not look at Laneys at all. They all sound british(which is a good thing IMO :lol: ).

$400? Maybe a used Mesa DC3 or something? Maybe a used F30 is in your price bracket, or close enough that you could swing it with a little saving?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've heard good things about Traynors . . . I played through their 100 watt head and it sounded good - but I haven't tried their lower wattage stuff . . . But the price of Traynors is not bad up here in the great white north. They might be more expensive in the states (being made here).

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If I were shoping for an F series, I'd steer clear of the EL-84 powered F-30 and move right to the F-50 with 6L6 power tubes.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you're looking for an "American amp" sound, maybe a Fender Champion 600 might be worth a try. It's only 5 watts but it has a nice Fender sound. If you're just interested in recording or playing at bedroom levels, 5 watts is essentially all you'd need.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If I were shoping for an F series, I'd steer clear of the EL-84 powered F-30 and move right to the F-50 with 6L6 power tubes.
el-84 make some of the warmest tones ever, 6l6 is more sterile and dry. I strongly recommend el-84 tubes, might not sound that great in the Mesa but most other amps they are amazing.

It is not "American" but it pretty much would be impossible to disappoint. Best thing you can do it go try several amps out till you find one you like. Might be harder to do though seems your looking into buying a used amp.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
You won't get what you're describing for $400. $600 and up.
Quoted for truth.

Actually, I prefer the F-30 to the F-50 and F-100. They're different beasts, and part of what I like is simply the lower wattage rather than the tube differences, but I kinda dig small EL-84 watt combos. They're a little more aggressive, and sound "hotter" somehow, whereas the 6L6's are a bit deeper but more restrained sounding.

·
Banned
848 Posts
i **** messa and fender in the morning cuz they suck, traynor is a great amp tho for what u are looking for, and u can get mods to revoice it with a flip of switch wich just bypasses the origional preamp circuit....also add a texas lead channel to one of those

and ur cumming with joy

·
Registered
246 Posts
i **** messa and fender in the morning cuz they suck, traynor is a great amp tho for what u are looking for, and u can get mods to revoice it with a flip of switch wich just bypasses the origional preamp circuit....also add a texas lead channel to one of those

and ur cumming with joy
Riiiiight... Mesa Sucks... I guess you better get the memo out to all the guys who play them.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

and ur cumming with joy
Save the playground rhetoric and netspeak for trolling with the kool kidz over at the Traynor forum.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Save the playground rhetoric and netspeak for trolling with the kool kidz over at the Traynor forum.
hahahaha. nicely done.

fang, have you looked into a peavey valveking combo? it absolutely will not get you precisely fender cleans (a fender combo will) or precisely mesa lead tones (a mesa combo will) but i played one in a store earlier today and was actually impressed by the quality of sounds available therein, and it comes in right at your price range. good range of distortions and a thoroughly decent clean tone. 50 watts, all tube (6L6's for power, which would be the right direction to go for fender and mesa sounds), a weird class a-to-ab voicing control (which definitely does not change the circuit class but is probably an eq filter of some type) that does a decent job at aping what it's supposed to ape, built-in reverb, and altogether great features and sound for the money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts