Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, seems I've seen a few a few vids on YouTube about tuning one's guitar. These cats advocate tuning your guitar while in a sitting or standing position. Once I had tuned my guitar (Jem) sitting on its back, I picked it up, and for the life of me I could swear that the tuning was out. Dunno, maybe it was me and maybe I'm just paranoid now that I've seen some of these videos.

I know that there are some serious guitar gurus on this forum, whilst I am just a beginner.

I would be grateful if anyone could chime in on this issue and deliver an approximate answer as to this query.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
7,567 Posts
Yep. Gravity. John Mayer was having such trouble with Gravity affecting the tuning and sustain of his guitars, he wrote a song about it!

When restringing, I tune to pitch with the guitar on the table, then stretch the strings in, then I put the guitar on and retune to pitch again.

Gravity.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep. Gravity. John Mayer was having such trouble with Gravity affecting the tuning and sustain of his guitars, he wrote a song about it!

When restringing, I tune to pitch with the guitar on the table, then stretch the strings in, then I put the guitar on and retune to pitch again.

Gravity.
Awesome info and advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I saw a recent video with Petrucci's guitar tech with thomann (?) and they talked about this, too.
Imo, players like Petrucci, Vai, Holdsworth, ppl with perfect pitch may hear a difference, but I highly doubt that I will notice it when I bang some hair metal from the 80s.
I don't know about that.

If you hit an open string while in playing position, turn the guitar 90 degrees, parallel with the ground. You will hear the note waver.

At least in my case it's obvious to hear even with my trashed hearing, and with whatever model guitar I'm using. Strat, L.P., RG etc...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.