Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got two new 7 string's from a fellow Jemsiter, and am currently loving them both.

My prior 7 string experience was as followed: A crappy sub-Korean quality Raven 7 string (yeah, I never heard of them either), and a fairly decent Kramer 7 string (neon green, Evo in the bridge).

Anyway, here are the pictures of my new white 7621 and VK 7621.

Okay. Not only was I showing off, the pictures were to help frame a question. I want to replace the pickups on both of them, but since they're such beauties, I want to get the pickups in colors that would make them look even better (anything but black...).

Question 1:

What color pickups would go good in them?

Question 2:

I want one guitar to be a "Korn" guitar (not for PLAYING Korn, but to get the self-titled sound). Would that be a Blaze, Blaze Custom, Blaze II, or what?

I want the other guitar to be a high-gain thrash machine. I like the output of the Evo in my Kramer, but it's a black pickup, so I don't want to swap it.

I'm open to suggestions of DiMarzio or Seymour/Duncan, as long as they're available in a matching color for the guitar.

Thanks for the view :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If that's so, I don't mind. It plays just as nice as the white one, and I'm replacing the pickups anyway.

Anyone have color suggestions for them? I'm thinking white-on-white for the white one, but I also thought that neon green might look pretty neat. Still need a few ideas for pickups for a thrashy, high gain sound, too.

Also, the purple in person is a little darker, unless the lighting is right. Would the purple DiMarzio offers match that, or is this another case of white pickups, do you think?

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
IBANEZDIEHARD said:
dude i'm pretty sure your 7621vk is a 7421
It's not a VK, either - I don't think either the 7621 or 7421 came in that color to begin with, and the VK was more of a burgandy than that wine-red sort of shade... It's pretty whatever it is, though. :)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
oh yeah, BTW, the obvious way to tell the rg7421 is the pickup routes. the ears are different. also since both are stock, the pickup pole pieces will show you as well. the new 7's are all allen adjustable, whereas the v or ah series are half adjustable. one coil with slag pieces and one allen adjustable.
i'll agree with everyone about the white one...white pickups would smoke. keep the other one black. now, have you tried the air norton7 and blaze custom? that rig is KILLER in basswood. i have installed a blaze neck and blaze custom in a 7620, but IMO, the air norton is way more versatile.

rich

·
Registered
937 Posts
Wait a bit i'd say, Dimarzio are bringing out the X2N-7 and that's probably the best pickup for thrash. It's higher output then an Evo and is basically the thrash metal pickup :p For the neck i'd say AirNorton7. They sound great.

As for the Korn stuff, i'd suggest 2 Blaze II humbuckers in bridge and neck.

Oh, and never underestimate Zebra coil humbuckers :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.