Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Universe neck comparison 97' thru 09'

I played a new 08' UV777BK this weekend at a local music store. Man, that neck was really nice, but felt maybe a little thicker and a little wider than a 99' UV777BK I played a few years ago.

Is it me or did these necks change? If they in fact did, what year did they change?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it can't be wider or thicker, probably the shape has changed a bit in 2003 as they started making it in 5 pieces instead of 1
The new one played fantastically, but it did seem to "feel" a little wider and maybe a tad thicker.

Though I'm curious, if it can't be wider or thicker, but the shape is different, how else would it be different other than in thickness or width? :scratches-head:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I played a new 08' UV777BK this weekend at a local music store. Man, that neck was really nice, but felt maybe a little thicker and a little wider than a 99' UV777BK I played a few years ago.

Is it me or did these necks change? If they in fact did, what year did they change?
Uh..yeah.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Jethro Tull - Velvet Green
via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
466 Posts
no man...the different shape mantaining the same width can affect the thickness in some points but mantaining the same max thickness, in this way it can feel thicker and wider, remaining 19 mm thick and 48mm wide at the first fret

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And i think I meant 'How could you remember that specific neck so perfectly after YEARS.'

Just seems like rose tinted fretboard syndrome to me.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: The Tea Party - Psychopomp
via FoxyTunes
It could seem to be that, but at the time I played that 99' model I owned a UV777GR and played it daily. I remember that neck like the back of my hand. The 99' BK neck felt faster and a bit thinner to me than my GR.... The 08' model felt about the same as my GR neck but seemed a bit wider and a tad thicker.... which is why I asked the question.

Doesn't hurt anyone to ask, except you i guess. ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no man...the different shape mantaining the same width can affect the thickness in some points but mantaining the same max thickness, in this way it can feel thicker and wider, remaining 19 mm thick and 48mm wide at the first fret
a useful reply to my inquiry. :)

Thanks. makes sense.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
It could seem to be that, but at the time I played that 99' model I owned a UV777GR and played it daily. I remember that neck like the back of my hand. The 99' BK neck felt faster and a bit thinner to me than my GR.... The 08' model felt about the same as my GR neck but seemed a bit wider and a tad thicker.... which is why I asked the question.

Doesn't hurt anyone to ask, except you i guess. ;)
I doubt you could pick the back of your hand out of a police lineup if pressured :p

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Exile
via FoxyTunes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts