Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I recently got a chance to play a new Universe and both new Jems.
I really liked the sound of the universe, I'm not 100% sure I can handle the low b though.

Do the blaze pickups (on the six strings, forget the B for a moment) sound like PAf Pro's or are they closer to something else?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Allegedly they are voiced similarly to a Steve's Special, I hear them as quite different though.
To my ears, they are darker and thicker than the PAFs, but that will be heavily influenced by the extra wood in a 7 string neck.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
they are different from PAFs as they can be,
Blaze v PAFpro:

Ceramic v Alnico5
Dual resonance (scooped) v mid emphasis
"HiFi" v "Vocal"
High Output (bridge 380) v Medium (300)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback.
I would argue that magnets and wire and output are not always directly related to the sound of the pickup.

For example. A ceramic pickup is usually stronger than alnico, but it doesn't have to be.
I've heard a 20K pickup that sounds suprisingly mellow and can clean up really well.

I believe the Blaze is a much hotter pickup than the EVO, on paper. But based on my experience playing both guitars, the Evo distorts an amp quicker and is much stiffer, things you would typically associate with a hotter wind.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.
I would argue that magnets and wire and output are not always directly related to the sound of the pickup.

For example. A ceramic pickup is usually stronger than alnico, but it doesn't have to be.
I've heard a 20K pickup that sounds suprisingly mellow and can clean up really well.

I believe the Blaze is a much hotter pickup than the EVO, on paper. But based on my experience playing both guitars, the Evo distorts an amp quicker and is much stiffer, things you would typically associate with a hotter wind.
I would say that the EVO example is good, but it does depend on the type of amp. What you say is true of valve amps, but not transistors.

I haven't got a clue about the actual question though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts