Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends, just posted a review of the UV71P the other day on YouTube, thought you may enjoy it. Nice guitar I've been telling people I'm really impressed with the sound and build quality considering it's a Premium. For a while there I was MIJ or die but I'm starting to give the Premiums another look, this one felt really nice!

·
Banned
983 Posts
nice guitar man, I wish it was available with maple fretboard, so that I would have both the black uv70p and the white uv71p!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I can tell there is no difference between the UV71P and the UV70P, which is unfortunate because there's really no reason to buy both, just pick whichever color you like and go with that one.

I haven't seen the black one in person yet, bet it's pretty nice!

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Just posted another review, this time for the 77FP2. Wow what a beautiful guitar that is!

So, still an MIJ guy than??:D:D

Seriously though. Thanks for the 71P review! Maybe it will help dispell some of the "Premium is crap" vibe that's been going around. I really appreciate the lack of post-production....... it really does make a positive difference.

I have to ask though. Did Z-Z ounds send it to their tech department before sending it to you, or did you get it as Hoshino sent it to them? What did you have to do with the guitar to make it recordable, if anything?

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
OK Mark, I totally dig your vids and give you tons of respect..............

.........but, it's Bass-wood (b-ass-wood), not Base-wood (b-ace-wood)..........LOL

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL! Is that right? How the hell did I not know that? I guess I never heard anyone say it before in person. Oh well lol. Thanks for the kind words I'm glad you like the videos. I teach here in Tucson but I think it's fun to put up free lessons on YouTube, if it helps a few people out there then that's awesome, I know I've found a lot of videos that helped me so it's good to give something back!

Yeah I'm still kind of an MIJ snob I suppose, but I'm really impressed with the Premiums though, look and sound great! As far as the tech dept. question, I honestly don't know what if any setup it had received before or after being sent. I can tell you though that all I did to it was tune it up and then record it, I didn't do any setup at all. Felt really nice. The 77FP2 came from another online retailer, and it was also set up great too. That doesn't happen real often!

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Dude, I may end up near Tuscon by the end of the year. If I do, you can add me to the studend schedule........we'll be starting with "mary had a little lamb" 8O

I only asked because of the finish work I've had to do on one Premium and the fair amount of details Rich has shared with us on his experiences with them. I agree that the Premiums are very good "bang for your buck" guitars in comparison to their MIJ counterparts. Buyers just have to be prepared to do some work to finish that which Hoshino hadn't. Kinda like buying "naked" furniture....... does that even exist anymore?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you end up in Tucson definitely let me know! You can contact me through my website at www.soundtheorystudio.com

I have to say I miss the universe, it was really nice. Only thing that sucks about reviewing guitars is having to give them back!

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I have the uv70p. As strange as it might sound, I really dig the blazes :)
I have all the old UVs but the Blaze pickups in them don't sound like the Blaze pickups that came in my JEM7V7. ???

The newer Blaze pickups that are in my JEM7V7 sound hotter and clearer.
Maybe a little less warm but not much.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I liked the Blazes a lot, but one thing I didn't say in the review is IF I were going for a heavy metal 7 string kind of sound they wouldn't be my first choice. I mostly like them because they are so versatile over many genres, but lets face it most people buy a 7 string for the really heavy stuff and yeah the Blazes are just so so for all that.

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
Yes, but that won't make the pickups have more output.
No but it could affect the way in which the strings vibrate, which is what determines the disruption in the magnetic field that the pickups pick up. Even if only subtlety it will alter the overall sonic signature of the guitar which might sound like the pickups are as you said "hotter". Unless you're going to measure some sort of electronic output, with the pickups removed from the guitars and installed in a test rig you'll never know.

Hell it could be the handle routed into the body that tricks your ears into thinking the pickups have developed extra windings ;)

It might just be older pickups on the original UVs have mellowed due to age... I've never seen proof of this but I'm sure the magnets could lose strength due to heat and time?

·
Registered
226 Posts
nice reviews. the floral jem, i have a feeling the fabric that they put under the finish, takes away some of the natural sustain and resonance of the body. but it still sounds good.

·
Banned
983 Posts
The body is in effect from frets 17-24 (roughly). Anything before this area is dependent on the neck alone.
Also, when we talk about sustain, we should have in mind that basically, in the general case, resonance and sustain are completely conflicting goals. What we wish for, is a compromise, where the resonance does not hurt sustain.
Ideally, a guitar which does not vibrate at all, will give the most sustain.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
"base" wood? Have I been saying it wrong all these years? I've been saying it like the fish...

I love the unbound neck on these but wish that they hadn't gone with the giant pyramids. I like the original, slightly smaller pyramids.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts