Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hei!
Is there anyone out there who has done a completely A/B test with those two guitars?
And forget about the piezo.

Give me your opinions

regards
Tony

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I own an RG2027XVV and i've played a few UV's but never back to back.

The 2027 is definitely at least as good a guitar as a Universe qaulity wise but the biggest difference is the body woods.
The 2027 being mahogany has a far darker tone to it than a UV and needs the right pickups to get the best out of it.

The Lo-Pro on my 2027 is superb and stays in tune as well as any 6 string Edge-type trem (and better than the Edge-Pro's IMHO).

I personally prefer the tone of the mahogany body but that's just a personal preference issue.
The neck on the 2027 is well known for being one of the best 7 string necks that Ibanez has ever produced.

They're both basically excellent guitars, but quite different in their own ways.

Here's a couple of pictures of my RG2027XVV :).

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is that I do have two RG 2027's and I wonder if I should trade one of them for a Universe.

Tony

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
TWO 2027's. Now that's just greedy ;).

You're not the guy selling one on e bay are you ?(with an asking price of £1200!!!!!!)

I think in time (and depending on which UV it is)the 2027 will be a more sought after guitar because it was only made for one year, that's unless you're talking about a UVMC or something like that.

You see a hell of a lot of UV777 BK's for sale but hardly ever see a 2027 for sale.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
If you have two, you could trade one of them for a UV.
I love my UV. I also think the 2027 is a sweet guitar. I never owned one but if I did, maybe I'd like it enough to get another one. Im finding myself wanting another UV because I like mine so much. So maybe you could just keep them both and buy a UV. ;)

JTM, very nice photos. I can never get tired of looking at your 2027. I've might of said this before, I'll say it again- sweet guitar. :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Flobanez said:
JTM, very nice photos. I can never get tired of looking at your 2027. I've might of said this before, I'll say it again- sweet guitar. :)
Cheers man!
The more i play it the better it feels to me. I think i'm getting used to the 7 string necks more now as well (it feels odd when i pick up one of my 6's now,lol).
It's got such a sweet tone to it and it's a very verstile guitar too.

I want to get some better pickups in it though, possibly Dimarzios of some sort or i'm pondering trying a BareKnuckles Warpig in the bridge position.

My shopping-list is bigger than my wallet:).

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
well, I've got a CSt (2027's granddaddy), used to own a 2027, and own a UV7PWH. So...

Even piezos aside, they're really two totally different beasts. The (old style, non-AANJ) neck is definitely slimmer and more C-shaped than the 2027/CST (they feel pretty identical to me, off memory), and UV's have noticeably lighter/shorter frets than 2027's. They're both quite comfortable necks, it's jsut that the 2027/CST is quite a bit girth-ier - it fills your hand comfortably, while the UV melts under your hand.

Tonally, the ebony board and maple top brighten up the cST quite a bit, but on a 2027, you really need to match pickups to the body wood. a Tone Zone 7, what mine originally came with, in mahogany is just all midrange and not much else. A bright, slightly scooped pickup is ideal - the Evo7 kills in this one, and I've heard great things about the JB7.

Myself, if you have two 2027's, I'd sell one of them off and buy some other good seven string - a UV would be cool, as would a 1077/2077, a CT/8527, a JP7 or something to add a bit of variety to your collection.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the great info guys!

I love both of my 2027's, they are great, but believe it or not, the necks are not exactly the same, the feeling is quite different. One of them is oiled, and the other one is not. The pickups I have is blaze, and blaze custom, and I think the custom is the best choice for that guitar, because it's a bit brighter.
I never tried evo 7, since I am not a big fan of evo6., the steve's special is my thing on 6 strings, so,....yes you get it.

So I'm still thinking about the trade, and I know the guitars are sought after, and the Uv I would like is of course a MC, or a PBK which is very nice too, even they are totally normal these days, and a 1077/2077 is interesting too.
Another reason is that I am almost always using 6 strings in my band, so I don't need two 2027's.

So if someone has other cool experience about UV RGxx77XL guitars, I'd like to hear it;-)

Regards
Tony

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What's the score with the Custom RG2020 Tony ?

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more pictures of it if you have any. It looks like a sweet guitar.
I thought the 2020's were neck-thru's ?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
the old 2020's are the six string sisters of the 2027.. got a blue stain instead of an orangy yellow one... have no idea why Ibanez decided to use teh 2120 number for a neck through without piezo... madness....

ps... I cant believe you have two 2027s and a 2020... I thought I was mad with one of each... I guess theres always room for more madness

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Devo said:
by the way is it just a 2020 with a JPM neck? and possibly a steves special and air notron ;)
Exactly, a JPM2020X mongreal, and there is a clear pickguard on it as well, it's homemade though, but it looks pretty good.
And of course there is a 3 way switch with the piezo/magnetic option, for blending them. I have that on all three piezo guitars.

BTW I do have different tunings for the two 2027's, low A & low B. That makes it a bit more sense to have two of them, right?

The 2020 is my working horse. It has been used primarly on the cd we're recording. except for the drop C songs, where the Jem90 is used.

take care
Tony

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sepsis311 said:
RG2027 is very similar to the RG7ct, except the flame top. I did a comparision of my UV777BK vs my RG7CT with an Evo7 in the bridge.
Thank you, nice to hear you play, and cool playing btw.

They do sound surprisingly much the same at first, but after couple of listenings, the difference is absolutely there.

But, how different are the two guitars in feel?
(neck, string height from body, sustain etc.... anything you can tell is appreciated)
Which one do you prefer? and why?
And if you do know, how different is a CT compared with a 2027.

Thanks again
Tony

1 - 18 of 18 Posts