Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that every unnecessary screw, hole, inlay or binding element in the guitar affects guitar tone and sustain negatively. I think JEM and UNIVERSE would sound much better without pickguard, huge plastic winetree/pyramid inlay, the monkey grip hole and binding on some models. Hey, in music everything is about the sound, not the looks -=D

·
Registered
412 Posts
plyta said:
I'm sure that every unnecessary screw, hole, inlay or binding element in the guitar affects guitar tone and sustain negatively. I think JEM and UNIVERSE would sound much better without pickguard, huge plastic winetree/pyramid inlay, the monkey grip hole and binding on some models. Hey, in music everything is about the sound, not the looks -=D
That comment would have made some sense on another forum maybe
but I think you need to put on your flame suit now m8. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I'd prefer JEM the way it is, but if I made a custom guitar based on JEM, I would reject the grip, pickguard and fret inlays. The looks of a guitar can be improved by using exotic woods, crazy hallucinatory -=D painting, nice pickup coil color combinations and hardware color options...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
plyta said:
No, no, no, no, no. I like JEM, especially UNIVERSE very very much.
Then buy a UV77MC. They are backrouted (the pickguard is clear), and they dont have the monkey grip or the lion claw. Plus, they look great. You may have to spend a little extra cash though.....

The are also backrouted jems, like the fps of the mcs. But if you are really worried about the lion claw and the monkey grip, you could just buy a log and put some strings on it. I doubt it will sound better than a jem, but you could give it a try!

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
plyta said:
No, I'd prefer JEM the way it is, but if I made a custom guitar based on JEM, I would reject the grip, pickguard and fret inlays. The looks of a guitar can be improved by using exotic woods, crazy hallucinatory -=D painting, nice pickup coil color combinations and hardware color options...
I.E. an RG

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Currently now, I'm still waiting till my new RG1527RB arrives from the dealer. I would like a multicolor UNIVERSE pretty much, but its pricetag is way to high for my financial capabilities...

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Man, alot of guitar players are way too anal. A hundred different things make up the way a guitar sounds and people have to say that binding and inlays rob tone. That's insane. If you can play 2 guitars where the only difference is the inlays and honestly say you hear a difference, I'd give you a million dollars (offer not valid on Earth). As for the Monkey Grip, I wouldn't think that would affect the tone much seeing as it's off to the edge of the guitar leaving the same amount of mass in the middle where the strings, bridge, pickups are. Some high end acoustics have the soundhole off to the top to create more mass under the strings, and even the S series is thicker at the center of the guitar than on the edges.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.