Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

How’s it going? I really want to like this guitar but these pops and clicks when engaging push/pull pots doesn’t seem normal.

What do you all think after watching video?

Thanks so much,

Tom

·
Registered
36 Posts

How’s it going? I really want to like this guitar but these pops and clicks when engaging push/pull pots doesn’t seem normal.

What do you all think after watching video?

Thanks so much,

Tom
Well I'm not downloading your video because I don't know who you are, there is a free thing called YouTube and it's way easy to upload videos there.

That being said, just live with it man. Both my 2410 and 2450 have audible clicks when I engage them. I've played a JS style guitars for so long that I don't even notice the clicks when I engage them. What bothers me more, is when I split the coils and get that nasty hum from the single coils. I've played hum-cancelling single coils for so long in my Stratocasters that it has ruined me forever to be able to tolerate single coil hum. I really wanted to try out a set of Dimarzio FS1's in one of my Strats. Love the tone they provided, hated every second of playing them. The hum drove me crazy, so I took them out after a day of playing and replaced them with the tried and true HS3's. Which I've moved away from those as well, and gone with Seymour Duncan YJM's now. They do everything the HS3 does but with more gain, clarity and volume.

My recommendation on the 2450 is if it bothers you that much. Take it to a guitar tech and have them completely re-wire it. Have the volume and tone pots changed over to something nice. If it still doesn't solve the issue, then the issue is in your head. If you're like most guitar players, you have some OCD issues and some things will just always bother you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad and completely understand about the iCloud link. I have two days before I can return the JS 2450 and was trying to get opinions now that I’ve recorded a video with the pops coming through the amp. Here’s a YouTube link below.

I appreciate it!

Tom

·
Registered
36 Posts
My bad and completely understand about the iCloud link. I have two days before I can return the JS 2450 and was trying to get opinions now that I’ve recorded a video with the pops coming through the amp. Here’s a YouTube link below.

I appreciate it!

Tom

Cool thanks for the YouTube link. Mine does the exact same thing, happens when you play with gain. You could try a noise gate, not that it would fix the problem. Might mask some of the clicks but won't get rid of it completely. Like I say, take it to a tech and have them completely re-wire it. New pots, switch and wiring. One thing I've noticed that does help with some of the residual noise in a guitar is shielding. You can get a roll of copper tape and completely do the inside of the control cavity. Just helps with cutting down on noise.

I've even experienced noise coming from my spring cavity at times on certain guitars. Could be cheap springs who knows. I've put a small piece of foam in there if it bothered me enough. One thing to remember though when trying to deaden the sound of a guitar. You end up taking away its character and what makes it resonant. Sometimes a loud and quirky guitar is just what you're looking for, you just have to be looking for it. It's all in the ears man...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really appreciate your comments. All good points! Hey, how do you like the color of your Sky Blue JS? Most of the player pics I’ve seen make it look dull and not very shiny. It seems like a cool combo of color with the red pickups!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My Epiphone Les Paul does the same thing, the pots do not help matters. They have a loud solid click rather than a soft click. My js24p was the same way. I swapped the pots in the JS because they were low friction... And I hated that. Solved the majority of the clicking/knock noises from the push pulls... however you could still tap on the guitar body and it would be noisy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You have more patience than me with these pops and clicks. As I said at the other thread, I got rid of my JS2450 very fast.

I've never had a guitar microphonic like that.

What about playing with high gain? Does it squeal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No squealing at all. I guess it’s an intentional design my Satriani? Almost gives it a hollow body vibe. I’m wondering if the body is secretly chambered? I like the sound/tone of the guitar and it’s probably the most comfortable and easiest playing neck for my hands. It’s also the first neck that I haven’t had to fret level or adjust anything out of the box.

Guess I’m leaning towards keeping it now. I just wish it was $400-500 cheaper.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
One thing that can help with pops and clicks when you flip a switch is a tie down resistor... Like a 1 meg resistor aross the contacts to help absorb that voltage spike that occurs. Sounds kind of microphonic though? Maybe just the vibration transferring to the pickups, like when you tapped on it?

I don't recall my JS sounding that microphonic, but it's a 2008 and might have differnt pickups, etc... They really are great playing guitars!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
There's a drastic difference if you decide to change out the pots... It's hard to show on a video, I will if I can. I'll try to figure out a way. The stock pots are super snappy in the mechanical push pull mechanism. These aftermarket pots are a bit softer... But a push push it the way to go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I really appreciate your comments. All good points! Hey, how do you like the color of your Sky Blue JS? Most of the player pics I’ve seen make it look dull and not very shiny. It seems like a cool combo of color with the red pickups!
I love my sky blue 2410. Here it is next to my VTX1300 and I personally think it looks shiny. It's the paint that gives it that optical illusion of being dull. Get up close and you can see how shiny it looks. It looks vibrant in sunlight for sure as seen in the bottom pic.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Guitar Musical instrument

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory String instrument Musical instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar Azure Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
There's a drastic difference if you decide to change out the pots... It's hard to show on a video, I will if I can. I'll try to figure out a way. The stock pots are super snappy in the mechanical push pull mechanism. These aftermarket pots are a bit softer... But a push push it the way to go.
This^^^^

1 - 20 of 25 Posts