Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the coming week I'm upgrading the pups on my RG1570 (Evo2 + Evo), and I wanted to know whether an electronics upgrade will aid in bringing out the true character of the new pups. Or are the Prestige guitars already equipped with a set of quality components?

On reading other threads, am I right in assuming that the RG1570 uses 500k pots for volume and tone, and a .022 cap?

I could install the new pickups first and see if I'm happy with my tone, but if this has been tried and tested, I'd like to benefit so I can save time and install them all at once :p

Look forward to some interesting replies...

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
If you want to spend a decent bit of money, see if RSKits has anything for you. I use their stuff in my Strat, my Tele and my Les Pauls. I cant say I noticed a huge improvement in the volume control, but I did notice one with the tone.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm less concerned about output than I am about tone so thanks for sharing that. I will take a look at RSKits.

Any RG owners swapped out the cap and stock pots for DiMarzio?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm surprised there's only one reply, still looking for answers/opinions guys :D The RS kits look sweet but I'm not sure which one to get, and I'm not keen on overkill by getting the best kit they have. I'd like to make the bare minimum changes required to get better tone than I can with the stock electronics.

TIA!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I recently swapped out the volume and tone pots and caps in my stock RG2550 with CTS pots. Aside from the superior "mechanical" quality of the CTS parts versus the stock Ibanez ones, I've noticed no difference in tone or output.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Butch, may I ask what pots and caps you installed in place of stock? Also, what were the values of stock pots and caps? My RG is out for replacement due to the fret buzz or I would have taken a look myself. Hoping to order the parts so they arrive around the time that my RG does.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The brand is CTS. Commonly found in Gibson and PRS guitars. DiMarzios are probably just as good though I have no experience with those.

www.ctscorp.com

The values on the pots are 500K for both volume and tone. Those are the values for the current stock Ibanez pots on guitars with humbuckers.

Hope that helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts