Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am interested in removing the single coil, replace the pickguard to HH and modify the blade switch to accommodate the 2 humbuckers to their full potential. Any ideas? Thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What I did with my RG470 was adding the DPDT pot for tone which splits the neck and bridge humbuckers in positions 1and 5. Kept the middle, added a nicer treble bleed, all the p/ups are swapped for Evolutions with True Velvet RW/RP. Turned out very cool.

·
Registered
60 Posts
To use a 5-way with only 2 humbuckers calls for a different switch than the one for H-S-H(available from stewmac and other places). I have a heavily modded RTG42-DR(Edge Lo-pro, all gold hardware and DiMarzio's) with the proper 5-way and it works well enough. But, I do miss the sounds I get from positions 2 and 4 on my RG550(I'm more inclined to add a middle pickup to the RTG42). But, if those 2 positions are not sounds you use a lot, then you likely won't miss them. I used to have an RG620BM-SOL that had a pair of Quantum humbuckers and the middle position(3-way) gave the inner coil of each humbucker. That was the absolute coolest blues quack-tone or any of the hundred or so guitars I have ever owned(not sure how much was to do with the mahogany body and satin oil finish).

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you want to add something really cool you could try this circuit. It's charvels circuit in Guthrie Govens signature guitar. Adds some really interesting tones. Grant it they are mostly single coilish tones. I have this in one of my Ibanez guitars, it's definitely one I play a lot. It's the most versatile guitar I own because of the tones I get with it. Instead of using a toggle switch for what they call "single coil simulation" I just installed a push push POT. If that pot is engaged all 5 positions are single coil tones. If it's not then the tones are as pictured in the "pickup selection chart". You would need to buy a fender super switch though.

Light Automotive parking light Organism Font Slope

1 - 8 of 8 Posts