Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking into upgrading the "Standard Double-Locking Bridge" on my RGAR42FMT. After checking the what-fits-where chart, I would like to go with the Edge Pro over the Edge because the low profile appeals to me. However, before I invest the money into this project (which will also require me to replace the tuners to match the bridge color, because vanity), I want to be sure the upgrade is worth it. I was hoping the much more experienced members of this forum could help me. Here's what I'm hoping to get out of this upgrade:

1. Increased tuning stability. This is the big one. While the standard bridge hasn't caused me any problems during performances, I can knock it out of balance if I really push it in practice. I wonder if perhaps my string gauge contributes to this (I use Ernie Ball .010-.052), or if upgrading to a superior bridge would allow me to REALLY go ham. That's the whole point of a Floyd Rose, right?

2. Increased sustain. I have no experience upgrading bridges, but I very commonly hear people saying that upgrading your bridge is probably the best way to improve your sustain. This is one category I think my guitar comes up short in, so I would be terrifically excited to coax more out of each note with a new bridge.

3. Better bends. The standard DL bridge makes bending pretty difficult to execute precisely, with how easily it gives into my string pulling. I understand this is a problem that all floating bridges have, but I'm hoping that upgrading to a sturdier bridge will provide more resistance and make for better bending.

I hope I was clear in my goals! Please give me all the advice you feel like sharing, including if you think I should go the Edge over the Edge Pro. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
185 Posts
The primary benefit to upgrading to the Edge variants is durability & sustain. Sustain can be addressed by upgrading the sustain block. Personally I'd use what you got till you wore it out, then replace the system, posts & all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts