Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*EDIT*
Actually, after further inspection, I think that my SG's hum is not too much greater than my Ibanez. While it is more, I suspect it is due to my ibanez pick ups (evo 2) being hotter, or maybe just better quality? I guess I never realized my how much my hum Ibanez had as well until I intentionally looked closer! Sorry, false alarm!

Hi!

I have an issue with my Gibson SG special (2 humbuckers) that I need fixed in 4 hours! Ever since I have gotten the guitar it has had a 60 cycle hum, and I tried shielding the pickgaurd and control cavities (not the pick guard itself though) to no avail. However, this hum is not horribly loud like I have heard in guitars that have blatant grounding issues, so I am scratching my head on whether this is grounding at fault at all!

Things to note: my amp picks up the 60 cycle hum even without a guitar plugged in, which I assume is caused by nearby electronics. And so when I plug the SG in, naturally it picks up the same hum. However, when I plug in my ibanez guitar, the hum is virtually silent. I have tried moving my amp with my SG to a different room, but I get the same hum. Because my ibanez does not deal with this issue, is it safe to assume that this infact an issue with my SG, rather than my environment? Or could it be that the vintage design of SG's humbucker simply does not do a good job of bucking the hum? I have also tried swapping the pick ups and it still had hum (though a little less).

My second suspicion is that I have a ground loop. I think this because I noticed that when SOME of my grounding's have had cold connections, the hum didn't increase at all (specifically, the volume pot to selector grounding, which are the yellow wires connecting to the selector in the pics). That being said, if I do not ground the bridge ground properly, there is actually a noticeable increase in hum (which at least lets me know the ground wire from the bridge is functioning), but for the other grounds in the control cavity, it does not seem to make a discernible difference if there is a cold connection.

Also, I noticed that the ground from the jack touches the side of all the pots EXCEPT the neck (top left) volume pot; I'm not sure what the implications of this is, do you think it has to do with it?

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Pictures at (I can't post links):

img411.imageshack.us/img411/4221/img0282ii.jpg
img254.imageshack.us/img254/2398/img0281pd.jpg
img835.imageshack.us/img835/3747/img0280wi.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Look for cold soder joints. Can't really tell in those pics. Make sure nothing is shorting on your shielding or shorting in general.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts