Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this USA Custom in 1990 in Winnipeg, Canada (I now live in Phoenix) and have been playing it since. The style of music that I play now has made this guitar less of what I need. Someone told me about this site and about how I could find a good home for it here. I have a lot of love for it and want it to go to good home. How do I value it?

From what I have figured out it is a USA Custom 1989 snakeskin with a triple coil (bridge) and single (neck) pickups, edge tremelo and shark tooth neck inlays. #893390

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what I get:

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Okay, maybe we can help you without pics.

You described it as USA Custom 1989 snakeskin with a triple coil (bridge) and single (neck) pickups, edge tremelo and shark tooth neck inlays.

This means, that it is a so called UCMD (Usa Custom Metal Design), the ser.-nr. fits, too.
The triple coil seems to be not original (as far as I know, Ibanez didn`t offer that choice). PS: CORRECTION: It was a original option!

UCMDs were offered via ebay sometimes in the last years. One auction is still running it`s the

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Ibanez-USA-C...096682?hash=item3f594c0fea:g:ex0AAOSwcdBWTkih

It`s interesting for you, because on that guitar the pickups are not original, too.

In the last months there were offered the following UCMDs (take the number in the ebay-window):
- 111848223353 (800 € offered from a bidder, but not sold)
- 272062543083 (offered for 995 $ by the seller, but not sold)
- 251939617354 (offered and sold the same minute for 742,50 €)
- 252011371085 (offered but not sold for 1222 $)

The value of a UCMD depends on the conservation status, it should be somewhere between 700 and 1100 $ for not modified guitars in a good condition.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, maybe we can help you without pics.

You described it as USA Custom 1989 snakeskin with a triple coil (bridge) and single (neck) pickups, edge tremelo and shark tooth neck inlays.

This means, that it is a so called UCMD (Usa Custom Metal Design), the ser.-nr. fits, too.
The triple coil seems to be not original (as far as I know, Ibanez didn`t offer that choice).

UCMDs were offered via ebay sometimes in the last years. One auction is still running it`s the

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Ibanez-USA-C...096682?hash=item3f594c0fea:g:ex0AAOSwcdBWTkih

It`s interesting for you, because on that guitar the pickups are not original, too.

In the last months there were offered the following UCMDs (take the number in the ebay-window):
- 111848223353 (800 € offered from a bidder, but not sold)
- 272062543083 (offered for 995 $ by the seller, but not sold)
- 251939617354 (offered and sold the same minute for 742,50 €)
- 252011371085 (offered but not sold for 1222 $)

The value of a UCMD depends on the conservation status, it should be somewhere between 700 and 1100 $ for not modified guitars in a good condition.
Thanks for all of this detail. I just looked at 252011371085 on Ebay (I pasted the number into the search in Ebay) and it says that it sold for $998.00. It just has a double/single coil config and looks like its in equally good shape. I am guessing that mine is worth a little more, but I would take this. Thanks for helping me to price my Baby.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
It`s your decision, but....ever thought about keeping this guitar?
The prices for Ibanez USA (and all rock guitars) were down in the later 90ies (Grunge and so) but in the last years prices/values especially of the usa customs rise. I think that probably will go on, because now the people are able to buy them, who saw these guitars as kids and teens but couldn`t afford them. It was the top line of a big (the biggest?) electric guitar firm, the only usa line, the later j.customs are still really expensive etc.

Even if you don`t play rock usually anymore, it`s fun, to take your old rock guitar from time to time, plug it in a good Marshall and let your neighbours hate you....;-)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.