Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in need of a delay with a tap tempo to replace my Boss DD3 for a while now so I finally splashed out and bought a Line 6 DL4 delay.
I've been thinking of using the 2 delay pedals together at the same time but my problem is that everything feels out of time because I can tap tempo on the DL4 but the DD3 is just a kind of set it and hope for the best kind of thing.

Does anyone have any nice tricks or ideas of ways to use these 2 pedals together?
At the moment it just sounds like the delays are fighting against each other, and not in a good way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like what's going on in this video and it says 2 delays are being used, I just can't figure out what they're set to or anything.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

Satriani had this going on. I remember seeing a video of him explaining his stage setup. He stepped on one delay, then the other and seems like he had a third one two. I don't recall him going into specifics. Just that he had 3 delay pedal going at once. It produced a very wild, but dreamy type of feel. Very cool. After hearing that I went out and picked up 3 delay pedals. I haven't gotten around to recreating that effect though.

Does anyone remember what video it was where he did that?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be interested in seeing that video too because it sounds like the kind of thing that I'm after. Typing 'using 2 delays pedals' in to Youtube doesn't come up with very much that's helpful.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

I do remember it was a behind the scenes kind of thing. I don't believe it was one of the G3 concerts on DVD. I think it was a Satriani only concert on DVD. Perhaps the one in San Francisco. Can anyone confirm that? I'm at work. I might be able to stick it in tonight and see.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It was the San Fran DVD. He uses multiple delay pedals (I can't remember if it's 2 or 3) and a chorus pedal to make a "big, dreamy" clean sound.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
He uses two delays, one long and the other one short. What Joe basically tries to achieve is a reverb kind of effect with the delay pedals. Here's a pic:

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have that dvd so I'll have to dig it out later and watch the concert.
He only has a DD3 and a DD2 there and neither have tap tempo so I can't see any reason why I won't be able to do it with a DD3 and a DL4.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
DD3 Use an ultra short delay with lots of repeats for reverberations (early reflections).

DD3 Use a short delay (25-50ms) to generate a false stereo feel from a mono set-up or simulate placement in a stereo set-up. No repeats!

DD3 Use an intermediate delay (50-250ms) for slapback in a medium room to large hall:
250ms = ~2*40m (2*125ft)
50ms = ~2*8m (2*25ft)

DD3 use a long delay (>500ms) for canyon type echos.

DL4 Use tap delay for tempo related delays, from say 250ms to 500. This is like playing in rhythm with yourself. (think David Gilmour or The Edge)

DL4 Use very long tempo related echo times is if youre looking for phrase lenght looping, IE call-and-response solos (Vai Bad Horsie, G'nR version of Sympathy for the Devil)

The first four DD3 settings and the Dl4 settings can easily be combined, but with the more elaborate DL4 (reverse, ping pong etc.) some more experimentation is necessary. Try it for yourself and you might stumble upon something cool and useable.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the ideas, I'm finding the DD3 with a short delay and lots of repeats setting quite nice if I combine it with the DL4 doing a slower delay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts