Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just wondering if there's anything wrong with using both gauges of spring that come with Edge zero ii equipped guitars? My RGD has a 7 string edge zero ii tremolo and I'm tuned to e flat (7th is b flat) so... B flat standard I guess? Using 09-46 with a 54 on the bottom. It seems like there's not enough tension when using the stock springs, and slightly too much when using the power springs. I don't really want to change string gauges, so could I use 1 power spring and 1 regular spring? Theoretically, that would completely solve my problem. I'm fairly experienced with trem systems, and I feel the only options I have are to use uneven spring gauges or change string gauge. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
how many springs do you have? if the number is even, use them symmetrically left and right. if not again retain symmetry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmm, I have an Edge Zero 7 with standard springs and tuned flat like you with 9-46 and a 56-string.
Works perfectly for me. The tension knob is pretty much centered.

OTOH I don't see a problem with mixing springs. Give it a try.

·
Registered
547 Posts
There is no technical reason why you can't mix spring rates to achieve a balanced system, the system sees only total spring tension which is simply the sum of all the springs installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've worked with a ton of floating ibz trems. If you use mixed springs make sure to tighten and tune the respective side of strings to keep the bridge flat and adjust the studs accordingly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts