Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been playing through a JVM205h head for awhile now but I feel that the tone on the red and orange Overdrive channel isn't enough for when I'm soloing. I play neoclassical metal, traditional metwl and sometimes thrash so I want something that could boost my solo tone. I was thinking either a vox satchurator, a Ts9 or an EQ pedal. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've got a vox satchurator which i used to use as my main overdrive effect when i had a marshall valvestate, i recently changed to a blackstar ht60 stage which i set up the two overdrive chanels for a decent rythmn sound, but i needed a boost for lead, i tried the satchurator but it coloured the tone to much. i solved the prob by getting a electo harmonix boost pedal, its one of the nano ones cant remember the model number but its a fairly clean boost adds no colour to your tone and gives a nice volume boost when set to around 9 oclock, cheap as well only about £25 here in the uk

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
So I've been playing through a JVM205h head for awhile now but I feel that the tone on the red and orange Overdrive channel isn't enough for when I'm soloing. I play neoclassical metal, traditional metwl and sometimes thrash so I want something that could boost my solo tone. I was thinking either a vox satchurator, a Ts9 or an EQ pedal. Any suggestions?
TS9 is great, but if you want a rich tone that also has a volume boost built in, Fulltone Full drive 3 (the new small black one). That thing is REALLY nice.

I'd recommend the OD pedal I use but you can't buy it outside Japan :?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I've always had luck with my TS9DX..
I would've recommended the ts9dx but what I found was that no matter what I did, when putting it on the higher gain settings it always got WAY too saturated to get a clear sound out of it. I tried everything too. That's why I prefer something like a normal TS9 over it, especially in the case of the OP.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I would've recommended the ts9dx but what I found was that no matter what I did, when putting it on the higher gain settings it always got WAY too saturated to get a clear sound out of it. I tried everything too. That's why I prefer something like a normal TS9 over it, especially in the case of the OP.
that makes sense, I'm playing with a less gain than the OP too so of course it would work great for me;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the TS9 turbo the fulltone fulldrive 3 are what I should be looking into? I play a lot of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, RATT, Van Halen,Crüe etc etc. also, someone suggested running the boost seperate, how should I do that because I've never split the signal up before haha

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
So the TS9 turbo the fulltone fulldrive 3 are what I should be looking into? I play a lot of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, RATT, Van Halen,Crüe etc etc. also, someone suggested running the boost seperate, how should I do that because I've never split the signal up before haha
Another pedal I say you try out is the Xotic BB preamp. It's not a massive gain booster or anything but it gives you a really rich tone that would make your priest solos sound better :) I am borrowing my friend's right now and I have to say, with my OD and EP booster in front of it, it gives me an incredibly rich tone, AMAZING for solos.

Instead of running your pedals in a single chain, you use the effects loop on the back of your amp. Usually people use their Delays/Chrous/Flanger/Reverbs back there but some people find using the boost there very effective as well. What you do is get one cable, plug into send then run that cable to the first effect in the chain (i.e. your chorus) then have your pedals in this order: (from the send cable) Chorus->Delay->Reverb->booster. From the boost pedal, you get another long cable and plug it into Return. It makes a separate signal chain so it doesn't effect the sound coming from your guitar to the amp as much as having them all in one single chain.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Another pedal I say you try out is the Xotic BB preamp. It's not a massive gain booster or anything but it gives you a really rich tone that would make your priest solos sound better :) I am borrowing my friend's right now and I have to say, with my OD and EP booster in front of it, it gives me an incredibly rich tone, AMAZING for solos.
+1 on the BB. I also have an EP booster,which is a great pedal too but I've been using my EP only on my clean sound. I've tried a few xotic pedals and they seem to really know what they are doing when it comes to creating great boost/od pedals

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Instead of running your pedals in a single chain, you use the effects loop on the back of your amp. Usually people use their Delays/Chrous/Flanger/Reverbs back there but some people find using the boost there very effective as well. What you do is get one cable, plug into send then run that cable to the first effect in the chain (i.e. your chorus) then have your pedals in this order: (from the send cable) Chorus->Delay->Reverb->booster. From the boost pedal, you get another long cable and plug it into Return. It makes a separate signal chain so it doesn't effect the sound coming from your guitar to the amp as much as having them all in one single chain.
I've been looking at some of those old ADA pre amps but I think thats getting into rack territory lol I'll have to look into the Xotic BB, i need a lil extra but not something that'll make it too muddy. .I've been hearing a lot of good things about the tubescreamer tho so idk.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
+1 on the BB. I also have an EP booster,which is a great pedal too but I've been using my EP only on my clean sound. I've tried a few xotic pedals and they seem to really know what they are doing when it comes to creating great boost/od pedals
Borrowing my friend's BB (he wants to sell it and I may take him up on it) really showed me how good the pedal when combined with other effects (like the EP). The one thing that is REALLY nice about it is that it doesn't distort nearly as much as my distortion pedal so I can create another unique sound with my KS808 in Mid boost mode.

Here's my disortion/boost chain:

Guitar->KS808->EP (ver 1 with unity switch)->BB. Since the KS808 is a TS808 clone, I put it in front to drive the whole thing, then the EP and BB to add texture to the KS808. I'm doing a lot of tests with my JB200 in Active mode since that's my main guitar and the active mode is REALLY sweet. I am trying to find that perfect balance between the preamp on the guitar and the pedals (especially the BB). I'm wondering if I should get the BB plus though, since it has mid boost as well. The KS808's mid boost mode works great though so maybe it's just figuring out my amp settings then going from there.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I've been looking at some of those old ADA pre amps but I think thats getting into rack territory lol I'll have to look into the Xotic BB, i need a lil extra but not something that'll make it too muddy. .I've been hearing a lot of good things about the tubescreamer tho so idk.
The BB adds texture so if you overdo it, yes it WILL get muddy but if you're careful and use your ears, it will give you that little bit extra with some richness. Listen to some Andy Timmons and you'll see the kind of texture the BB can give. Andy has his own signature BB that is a little softer overall but it's hard to find and EXPENSIVE.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Yonks ago in an old band I was in my bandmate had a Boss Blues Driver. I liked it. Seemed to work pretty well with the Marshalls we were all using.

'87
Boss released these new Waza Craft pedals recently and the blues driver was one of em. It's a blues driver with a mini switch that boosts the pedal. If I was ever going to buy a Boss BD, I'd buy that one (I like BB preamp and my KS808 a lot more so I don't need em :D)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The New Wazacrafts have caught my eye, especially the new DM-2W, and speaking of the bluesdriver, theres a video on youtube of a guy playing an old carvin V220 through a blues driver and it sounds siiiiiick

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
The New Wazacrafts have caught my eye, especially the new DM-2W, and speaking of the bluesdriver, theres a video on youtube of a guy playing an old carvin V220 through a blues driver and it sounds siiiiiick
The Waza Craft Delay was recalled so it's not on sale yet, only the Blues driver and Super Overdrive I think are available right now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts