Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking people who may know.

I'm gonna switch back to valve pre/power but in a rack. It'll be an ENGL e570 into an ENGL 840/50. Pretty simple.

The bit I'm not clear about is - I want to use an axe fx 2 as a boost / effects unit only. Where do I put it in the chain?

• Before the e570 and just push the axe output to the input of the pre?
  • In the effects loop of the e570?
  • After the e570 output sat between the pre and power phase?

In the effects loop seems the most sensible. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Several ways to do it, it is one of those things you just have to try to see which feels best for you. I did similar with mesa kit, and ended up putting the triaxis in the loop of the axefx. That way I could properly use pre and post effects, and use the noise gate, harmonisers etc at their best.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is actually a method I hadn't considered.
So basically you ran guitar into pre amp, pre out into axe fx loop and then out to power amp? Hmmm.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
That is actually a method I hadn't considered.
So basically you ran guitar into pre amp, pre out into axe fx loop and then out to power amp? Hmmm.
Not quite: Guitar to axefx in. Axefx loop send to preamp in, preamp out to axefx return, axefx out to power amp.
That way you can have compressors, overdrives, wahs etc before the preamp, reverb delay etc after, or even bypass your own preamp entirely and use one of the ones in the axefx. You can set the noise gate to detect at the axefx in (so the raw guitar signal) but put the gate straight after the preamp to give the best results. I also played with using the triaxis a little differently because it has quite a high output: guitar>axefx in>axefx send>triaxis in>triaxis send>axefx return>axefx out>triaxis return>power amp in. Try both, see what sounds and feels best to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts