Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fitting a pre amp into a guitar, but the pots are giving a few issues. AS there all B100K and i intended to convert them to concentric pots to save space, does anybody know if using B500k pots instead of the B100K pots on the treble, bass and mid would have a bad affect? The pickups in the guitar are all passive humbuckers, and all high output

Im having no luck at all finding a UK supplier for concentric 100K pots, and the only supplier i can find is in the US and wants $49.90, (roughly £34) thats way to expensive, i have 2 500k concentric pots here ready to use but its alot of soldering to find out it doesn't work right.

·
Registered
953 Posts
You could probably get away with it on the volume, if the pre-amp has one. As for the tone controls, bass, mid and treble; usually the frequency the control operates at is defined by the component values. If you change the resistance of the pot you'll change the frequency band over which the control works. The change may be small enough that you won't notice, but, most likely it will change so much that the controls don't work as you expect.
Best to try it on the bench, but you'll probably need the 100K pots.
Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.