Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Using my universe in my band Perspectives

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  DjentRanAway 
#1 ·
Okay everyone, I have joined a band with great potential, and I am so excited to see what happens! Influences included periphery, animals as leaders, intervals, tesseract, a day to remember, etc.
I was just curious the lowest tuning I could use on my universe while still maintaining a good sound, as well as what gauge strings I should use. I recently tried setting it up with a standard .09 set, and then I used a .60 for the 7th string. Also, will the blazes be enough for the tight low end necessary for this style of music? If not, what could I replace them with in my universe?

Oh, and please like my band on Facebook as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
https://www.facebook.com/PerspectivesOfficial

Their sound before I joined was great, but now we will be focusing on more clean vocals and technical/melodic playing as well. I can't wait!
(And btw, I'm not in the pics on the page yet, that's the lineup before I joined, but I'm listed in the about section or whatever)
:)

#10 ·
lowest tuning w/o having intonation issues is drop G# otherwise u will end up always sharp, best gauge for that is 10-52 with a 74, as for the pickups, you could go with a full shred neck and bridge set, they are very dynamic and work eally nice on basswood, if u want bkp stick with a C.nailbomb bridge and vhII for the neck, best sounding pickups ever

#16 ·
Would liquifire/crunchlab be better than blazes? I have a set in another guitar I could move to my uv

And personally, I prefer playing in G# as opposed to Ab.... It just sounds much more powerful....
Probably something about what 99% of "djent" or hardcore players would say :p

#21 ·
The "old skool" thing to do (back in the mid 90s) was to remove the neck pickup (which has a lower output and more balanced eq) and use that as a bridge pickup. The lower output seems to let the amp do more work on the distortion and stops it from going too muddy.

I'm 20 years out of date now though and all you kids have new ideas on how to get your G#ent tonez.

#23 ·
^^ guess not haha

Okay new question about that uv, how many of you guys have used a tremol-no on your uv and liked it? I never use the dive bar, and I'm sick of the floating bridge, I feel as if it inhibits my creativity since I don't use it. I want to block it I just am not familiar with how

#24 ·
I have it on my custom "jem" build and keep the trem locked most of the time. I've had it locked since first putting this guitar together and it hasn't moved. Excellent little gadget. I would ask the makers if they would be fine on a 7 string though. I can't answer that, but for around 75 bucks you could!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.