Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am thinking my bassy/low midy UV70p lacks the neck/bridge position. I like all positions clean, but I am not so crazy about 2,3,4. Could I just mod position 3 to have bridge/neck together in parallel or all 3 pups in parallel?

Is it worthy? Could this be close to an LP mid position?

·
Registered
283 Posts
The way I've seen it done on strats is to replace a tone pot with a push-pull one and use the push-pull function to turn the bridge pickup on/off in positions where it wasn't already selected. I'm not sure how that would come out on an Ibanez wiring scheme with the parallel & split coils & all tho.

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanx, yes, the 5-way switch might pose a problem. I have done all this on my strat, but all the switching was done via push/pulls and mini-toggles, I kept the stock 5-way switch.
I consider bridge and neck alone (positions 1 and 5) as having good cleans, 2,4 also good, and 3 so and so. But i still miss the "killer" cleans on this guitar like the ones I get with my EMGs mid position.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but my BMV strat came stock wired so the second tone control will either blend the bridge pickup in to position 1 & 2 or blend the neck pickup into position 4 & 5

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool mod, elcid, thanx. Most likely I will connect the bridge to the neck brute-force by wire and see if i like the sound. If its good then I'll add some switching.

But till then my question stands : will B+N give this full fat LP mid tone? By now, I get ultra nice distorted tones out of my uv70p, and also very good cleans, but more on the 80s side of things ("is this love", etc), not so jazzy or bluesy.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Short answer no, it won't sound like a Les Paul.

Another thing to maybe try is take the middle pick up out of the equation if you dont care much about positions 2, 3 and 4 and either go with a 3 way switch, or get a megaswitch where you can split the neck and bridge if you want

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Short answer no, it won't sound like a Les Paul.

Another thing to maybe try is take the middle pick up out of the equation if you dont care much about positions 2, 3 and 4 and either go with a 3 way switch, or get a megaswitch where you can split the neck and bridge if you want
hmm then like a fat sounding tele maybe?

I'd like to keep 2,3,4 , so most prolly i'll go for a push pull to add bridge at any position.

thanx for your tips!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts