Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy my opinion is that the UV7 is better then Rg7620 because the rg is made of cheaper material and John Petrucci used a UV7 in his video "Lie" that took place in New York and he does a solo that proves that the UV7 is the man.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Um...the RG-7620 (not RG-760, doesn't exist) is a very good guitar, and many people on this message board have one (or more). I don't think you want to be calling it a "guitar for poor people".

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
RG7620s are fantastic guitars and are quite the equal to the older UV7s in nearly all respects. They're both made of the same materials and have the same hardware. The only thing "superior" about the UV line is the pickups, and that's subjective.

And, there was an RG760, BTW. :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
the UV neck is made with a bit more TLC, but the old neck joint of pre-UV777BKs is a huge tradeoff ;) ...glen

·
Registered
394 Posts
IMO, the 7621 is the best seven string ever to be produced. But then again, I'm very partial towards a fixed bridge, and I haven't played a Universe, or the AF 207. So you can see how my personal opinion has been influenced.

Also, I think I've seen some discussions on the RG 760 when looking at the Other Ibanez Guitars topic section. I may be mistaken though.

I'm probably just being an @$$, but please keep the flame bait on the HC forum.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Jem666Sk said:
Guy my opinion is that the UV7 is better then Rg7620 because the rg is made of cheaper material and John Petrucci used a UV7 in his video "Lie" that took place in New York and he does a solo that proves that the UV7 is the man.
Actually, they're both made of basswood- same material. They also have the same trem and same hardware, and both have Dimarzio pickups. I'm not sure where the "cheaper" bit is coming from.

Additionally, just because petrucci used it for a video once doesn't make it an inherently better guitar- flip through mtv sometime and let me know if the PRS Santana SE's that Sum 41 plays in their Vid's are better than a 10-top McCarthy. Or, for that matter, a 7620. ;)

So, in short, you bashed an excellent guitar because your hero didn't play your favorite solo on the video with it, in a city you like. So, how exactly is that proof? Please enlighten me. :)

(The 777BK, on the other hand- close to the same quality, but killer cosmetics. :))

A 7620 owner,

-Drew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey

The Uv is better Ibanez cant just make a guitar more expensive then the other one it has to be some change if is not would be stupid ok and the pickups are different ok

·
Registered
394 Posts
OK, WHY is the UV better? Because Petrucci used one in a video and it has a higher price tag? From what I've gathered around here, the only difference between the UV777P BK and the RG 7620 are inlays, pickups, angled output jack, pickguard, and its still available in the states while the 7620 isn't. As far as quality goes, we've been through the features and have come to the conclusion that they make up for the price difference in the two guitars. :evil:

Also, the point you're trying to make would be better understood if it were communicated more effectively. :wink:

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Re: hey

Jem666Sk said:
The Uv is better Ibanez cant just make a guitar more expensive then the other one it has to be some change if is not would be stupid ok and the pickups are different ok
Why not? Swing by that thread in the JEM forum and read about the JEM Jr 333. Let's see... crappy quasi-jem or a good quality RG-570 for a bit less? The big difference here is that the UV is a Vai signature model, while the RG is not. And they were going DAMN cheap for a while on clearance, but they list for $1300. Would ibanez add about a $800 list price change between a good RG and a sig model? Well, if history is any indication... yes. you get a slight difference in finishing quality, but the upshot is the RG is almost as great a guitar as the UV (if you're talking about a pre- AANJ UV, then i think most players here would take the RG over the UV any day as anything other than a collectable), and you're paying significantly less. Please don't bash an amazing guitar that is very nearly as good as its more pricey bretheren simply because of the price tag, because Ibanez pricing is very arbitrary. (I'd argue the k-7 is WORSE than the 7620, yet is significantly more expensive)

-Drew

·
Registered
6,200 Posts

Jem666Sk said:
if is not would be stupid ok and the pickups are different ok
Yep, that's sort of my point... the difference IS stupid. i think it's drug-dealer tactics- get us all hooked on the 7620 by cutting margins, then sell us the UV after the RG is discontinued.

-Drew

·
Registered
4,989 Posts

Jem666Sk said:
Ibanez cant just make a guitar more expensive then the other one it has to be some change if is not would be stupid ok and the pickups are different ok
They can, they did, and they are. :lol: Yeah, that middle pickup, that slab of plastic, the different hole cut for the input jack, and the colour difference really cost a lot. :roll: Anyone like to buy a name??

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

Two hands31 said:
They can, they did, and they are. :lol: Yeah, that middle pickup, that slab of plastic, the different hole cut for the input jack, and the colour difference really cost a lot. :roll: Anyone like to buy a name??
mmm have you ever played an UV? before i did i used to think 'snob people, paying a lot for the UV when they can get same wood and hardware in a rg'. when i played one i realized the universe is a superior instrument, and you can see it in every detail and most important, feel it when you play the thing.

i won't argue the fact that you pay a lot for the name, it's true, but the uv is a lot more than a rg with SV's royalties.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That's funny, 'cause the UV777BK I played I thought looked cheesy, and played about the same as my RG7620. The only "superior" part of the UV is arguably the quality control (although this one had a pickguard that didn't sit on the guitar correctly) and pickups.

Besides, I'd prefer to save the extra dough and buy TWO or THREE RG7620s. :)

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
the RG7620 had a street price of about $850+ when it came out. The UV777BK was clearly a better axe but was it $500+ better? For many of us, the pickups and 2-1-2 config & prestige neck made the UV worthwhile. Your mileage may vary.

At $299-399 closeout pricing the RG7620 is a seriously good deal and might make more sense over the UV for those on a budget :) ... glen

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
i wish i could find a 7620 for 300 here in chile! (even if i add about 150 for shipping from the US it's a pretty good deal to me.....GAS thoughts invade me!)

·
Registered
2,629 Posts

Two hands31 said:
no, but pyramid inlays, body routing, and a nicer grade of rosewood for a fretboard, better overall fit and finish does cost a lot more.

To me, the new UV's sucked, I had one, I also had 2 7620's, but, the overall quality of the UV side by side to the RG's was distinctly better. It might not mean much to most people, but the quality of the paint is better on the UV's too, the UV finish was like glass, the RG's you could see wood grain, why? it is the exact same wood, same body shape, ahhh, but different finishing process. Also, the fret job on the UV777BK would be more money due to a bound neck.

You an complain about the cost of the UV compared to the RG all you want, but the bottom line is, for a production guitar, the UV is 10X the guitar the RG is.

you cannot compare the price of the RG now as it's out of production and being blown out. Oh, one other thing, the UV is mass produced, but not to the numbers that the RG was, if you built 3 times as many UV's, the price would probably be lower too.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Well, I'm not complaining about the price. I'm not like that. I can understand perfectly why a signature instrument would street for $1500. I just chose to exercise my right to pay less for a nearly equal instrument that doesn't have the artist's personal style emblazoned all over it.

I personally don't buy signature instruments becuase they aren't mine. That's not to say I have anything against them - on the contrary I love JEMs and UVs, they play great. RGs play great and are less filling. I customize all my guitars the way *I* want them. All else being equal, it makes more sense to buy an RG over a JEM, or an RG7 over a UV.

It's pretty well known that Ibanez's QC is hit-and-miss. The UV777BK I played NEW at the store had a pickguard that didn't sit flat, high action, a few crooked guard screws, and at least one high fret. So much for Prestige quality. Orion (Kevan's UV777BK), on the other hand is immaculate. So I've never put much stock in the "signature guitars get better QC" arguement. Seems to be more of the "the ones that get picked up get better QC." :lol:

My '99 RG7620 cost me $300 shipped. Jem666SK's UV7BK'97 cost him $600+ shipped. Winner - RG7. Not that the UV's not a GREAT guitar. The RG's nearly as good a guitar and is bunches cheaper.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts