Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my new UV70p i just got yesterday, the action in the 3 middle saddles goes like D less than A less than G , (with action of high E measuring 1.2mm and low B 1.5mm @24th fret) which does not make much sense. I would suppose for action to grow gradually from G->D->A.
Is the above normal?
Neck specs are 400m radius, so IMO the problem cannot lie in the bridge having bigger (more obtuse) radius, since the problem lies in G,D,A strings.

I am thinking of swapping the saddles :
D->G (so that G has the lowest action of the 3)
G->A (highest action)
A->D

I will have to re-check with a uniform action regarding high E, low B.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I'd pull the saddles and see if they have shims under them.
If there aren't any shims, set the three saddles on something flat to see if they are different in thickness.

I've never pulled the saddles off of any of my Edge Zero II guitars.
They may be like the Edge III saddle.
The Edge III has three different saddles from short to tall.
If that's the case with the Edge Zero II, the trem may have been assembled incorrectly.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
It could be a defect in one or more of the saddle if there is nothing under them.
Also, The neck or nut could be the problem.

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx. I will have to check thoroughly and revert. I will set height uniformly on high-E low B, so and also put a capo e.g. on 12th fret to eliminate any effects from the nut, and measure clearance at 24th fret. I wish its not the nut, or the neck. If it was the neck, then the neck should be flatter in radius than the bridge, but the jump is so evident from e.g. high B to G or D to G (adjacent saddles), that it almost eliminates the neck/frets as a problem.

The difference in clearance is in no way a show stopper. The guitar is quite playable as is. I am just in the withdraw / 30-days money back period, and I must take all my decisions now.

I like the guitar truth be told, but I spent a night full of agony yesterday to make it playable. A really stressful night. I shimmed the neck only to discover that the problem was an needless factory wrongly installed shim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts