Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am in need of a new scratchplate / pickguard for my UV777BK (the mirror type one), however the price of these for official Ibanez ones is pretty high (£85 here in the UK). I am aware that cheap aftermarket ones can be a pain as the screw holes often don't match up (made this mistake a couple of times in the past with strats!), I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere to get hold of a replacement scratchplate that will fit, without breaking the bank? Or will I have to just take the hit and buy an Ibanez one?

I've seen one on the US Ebay site, by Jeannie Pickguards - Has anyone bought from these people before? (Can't post a link as my score isn't high enough yet)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :razz:

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Hi All

I am in need of a new scratchplate / pickguard for my UV777BK (the mirror type one), however the price of these for official Ibanez ones is pretty high (£85 here in the UK). I am aware that cheap aftermarket ones can be a pain as the screw holes often don't match up (made this mistake a couple of times in the past with strats!), I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere to get hold of a replacement scratchplate that will fit, without breaking the bank? Or will I have to just take the hit and buy an Ibanez one?

I've seen one on the US Ebay site, by Jeannie Pickguards - Has anyone bought from these people before? (Can't post a link as my score isn't high enough yet)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :razz:
Good mirror pickgaurds will cost around 70 bucks. Jeannie is highly rated, but on a guitar like that, it may be more prudent to get the "real deal".

whats wrong with it first?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's going a little mis-coloured between the foil underneath and the plastic (kind of a dark greeny colour) - it's been in its case for the last 9 months or so, looks like some tarnishing around the edges of the foil. Unfortunately as it's under the foil, I can't just 'scrape it off' without damaging the foil / mirror effect, so it needs replacing. I can live with it personally, but I'm cleaning it up to sell it, and want it to be in as good a condition as possible for this - as much as I love it, I just don't use it anymore, as my PGM90th has become my main guitar.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
It's going a little mis-coloured between the foil underneath and the plastic (kind of a dark greeny colour) - it's been in its case for the last 9 months or so, looks like some tarnishing around the edges of the foil. Unfortunately as it's under the foil, I can't just 'scrape it off' without damaging the foil / mirror effect, so it needs replacing. I can live with it personally, but I'm cleaning it up to sell it, and want it to be in as good a condition as possible for this - as much as I love it, I just don't use it anymore, as my PGM90th has become my main guitar.
since you are selling it I would leave it for bargaining room. It shouldnt make or break the sale, and if you needed the extra push over the cliff to convince a buyer "Man I love it but that pickguard..." tell him you will replace it. but if everything else is in good order.... some people prefer truly OEM components vs identical replacements.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree - I certainly prefer all OEM parts on any guitar I buy unless it's a significant upgrade. I think what I will do is try to get a cheaper replacement for aesthetic purposes, and include the original in the sale also - pretty easy to change them if someone wants the genuine one back on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow - what timing! How much to ship it to the UK would you reckon? :razz:

Out of interest - mine is a '99 model, I assume the screw positions have not changed over time / that it will fit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah - I have no idea which one it is - any easy way of finding out? The trem is the one with the 2 white washers on the trem arm if that helps?

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Fortunately mine is a '98 Lo-Pro guitar..... so the guard is exactly the same. I honestly have no idea on shipping, but the neck I just sold to Brosa in the netherlands only cost $35 US. I'm guessing about half of that??? PM you post code to me and I'll be glad to find out.

Ryc

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
your's is a Lo-Pro Eyan..... The UV's had Lo-Pro's from '91 til '02. Sorry to see you have to sell it, they are great guitars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers Ryc, PM sent.

I know, I'm gutted to have to sell it as it's a wonderful instrument, but I have too many guitars now and could do with the money over something that currently only comes out of its case twice a year. Have also got 2 others I'll be selling with this too for the same reasons. It's either this, my PRS, or the PGM90th - the PRS has massive sentimental value, and the PGM is going to the grave with me!! I'll sell every possession I have before I sell that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would probably hope to get somewhere in the region of £850-£1000 for it. I paid about £1100 for it 7 years ago. I don't know what this translates to in US$ these days though.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I think that comes out to about $1750- $1800 US. A tad high, but still very much in the ballpark for a good condition '99. (sadly out of MY ballpark, but I don't think you'll have any problems with it)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
current exhange rates its probably more like $1500-1600 in US, so maybe a bit more realistic - maybe I should up the price!!:lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts