Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I know I asked this question before but i'm seriously torn between the two decisions. Especially since now, the V3 is $1300 and the Legacy is $1450, both for half stacks. Wut i'm wondering is, is the Legacy's tone worth that much more than the V3's versatility? ALthough i do know that they both need pedal pumping to be able to do much more htings but anyhow, If it helps, here are the pedals i plan on buying the Boss DS-1 and Ibanez TS9 when i buy one of these amps. LOTS AND LOTS OF SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I had this exact same problem a few years ago. I played both side by side for a few hours with a couple of my main guitars. I liked the power and uniqueness of the Legacy but I also liked the liveliness and versatility of the V3. In the end I bought...

...A Marshall DSL50.

But if the Marshall didn't win my heart, I'd have bought the V3.

·
Registered
667 Posts
What do you play? I've owned both. I liked the Legacy better. The cleans on the Legacy are some of the best on any amp. Right up there with a nice, clean Fender tube amp. Full, warm and lush. The gain doesn't get into metal (aka. Recto territory though, even with a pedal). The trick with the Legacy is to run and eq in the effects loop. Gives you a lot more versatility for tone shaping. For leads, the Legacy sings, even on it's own, and when you throw a pedal in front it is orgasmic. Thick, sustaining leads from heaven. The Legacy's flaws.......while still good for rhythm it's not it's strong point. Don't take that to mean though that it isn't good at rhythm tones. It's also very loud since there is no master volume, even in 50 watt mode.

The V3 - Very versatile for tones. Clean is more Marshally - not as good as the Legacy. Can do crunch to mesa recto tones. 3 channels. Master volume. Midi........what's not to like? Well, the tone seemed to just hang there at the cabinet. The Legacy has this 3d like sound quality. The V3 sounds like a blanket has been placed over the top of the cabinet. The sound just never goes anywhere.

Ultimately, I was a lot happier with my Legacy and owned it much longer. Plus, a used Legacy can be found for a lot less than a used V3.

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
Not for nothing dude, but you're in San Diego! Drag your ass to the Carvin store in town and play them both.

San Diego
12340 World Trade Dr.
San Diego, CA 92128
M-F 10:00am - 6:30pm
SAT. 10:00am - 5:30pm

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
I own a Legacy, and it's the last amp I'll ever buy! Love it! The tube screamer sounds great in front of it, but I'd not bother with a DS-1 unless you plan to mod it. I hear the V3 is a nice amp, especially for nu-metal, but it's not my thaaaang. Listen to the others--go try them both and see what you like best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My main styles would be like Vai, Petrucci, Gilbert, then bascially rock, blues, etc.
You like to play Vai, that's the amp he uses. Vai, Petrucci, and Gilbert have a similar type of tone that the legacy can do which includes rock and blues. And the v3 is more of a metal amp, kind of.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yup, Legacy. Legacy is more of a lead playing guitar amp, although you'd be better with the V3 for Petrucci stuff. Gilbert uses Laney. That is a bit of a Marshall tone, which you will be able to get with an eq in the fx loop. Seriously, head back to the Carvin store and take an eq pedal with and put it in the loop. You'll get all kinds of tones.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I owned both, including a DSL50 along. I'm with an Axe fx now, but If I'd had to choose an all tube amp again, it would be the Legacy. Also a completely different beast than an indeed super versatile V3 (one of the best when it comes to that, especially for the price). But the Legacy just sounds so warm, full and harmonic. If you're into really more heavy metal, the v3 would be a better choice. But since you also tend to use these overdrive pedals you mention.... both great to push the Legacy's lead channel and color it in any way you like with your favorite pedals. The legacy takes them very well. I for instance like the rat a lot, because I dig nuno tone (hence the DSL I owned). Also, stick a good EQ in front or loop of the legacy and you can get A LOT of tones. But all warm and full...

Go compare them for sure, they are certainly not the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts