Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I will change the original speakers in my Peavey Valveking 112 combo. The two options are: Celestion V30 or Celestion G 12 T 100. Which would be better? The V30 is "only" 60w, and the Valveking is 50w all tube, and i heard that it can blow the speaker. And the G 12 T is not only louder, but is cheaper. I live in Hungary, and a webshop makes a big spring sale, where the V30 is about ~115$ instead of ~137$, but the G12T is only ~88$ (instead of 110$). So, which one would you buy?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
the 100 is going to sound "hotter" as in more presence with the high end and more low end. The v-30 is all about the mids/low mids. It will project and have better clarity.

Depends on if you want more of a metal sound (100) or more of a rock instrumental sound (v-30)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a metal guy, the problem with the stock speaker is it's get muddy sometimes, and I want a little more high end. I play Megadeth, Malmsteen and Hermann Frank kind of music.
I guess I'll go for the G12T

·
Registered
977 Posts
I also have the VK112 and the stock speaker doesn't really like the lower frequencies. I've found that dialing back the bass to about 2 o'clock helped a bit, for me at least. Even with an EQ pedal I can't quite dial it in. I've been on the fence between a v30 and the seventy 80 for a while now, but I'm still exploring my options (Eminence, WGS, etc.). I suppose I should just bite the bullet and pick one. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Too bad it is just a 112 because to get a fuller sound you need to mix speakers:

A V30 (awesome in the face mids that are great to play live and recording) and a G12T75 (low end and highs and scooped sound)...

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I agree. Need to be mixed. I have a V30 and a Heritage G12H-75 in my Legacy 2x12. I get nothing but compliments on the sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts