Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have finally started on my V7/V8 pickup magnet experiments.

So far I have worked on the V8 bridge humbucker, and tried out the stock Alnico 5 magnet, Ceramic magnet, and an Alnico 3 magnet.

I've recorded some basic quick samples to give an idea of what the different magnets do. Once I've edited them up into a little sound file package I'll link them here. I thought I'd share my initial findings though.

Well as many have already found out, the V8 is ok stock. It's a little muddy and lacking in clarity, but it could be worse.

The ceramic magnet was really cool. Not only did I get a lot more clarity, less mud, and a bit of twang, I got a noticeable volume increase too! I quite liked this setup, and I feel that many would probably like it too.

The Alnico 3, which was RGTFanatics wish to try was pretty cool too. To my ears it was tonally very similar to the Ceramic, but with less output, and volume. It probably had a cool old school cleanliness to the tone as well. Lots of clarity and just clean crunch. Nothing over the top.

Like I said, I'll get some sound samples for everything, I just was excited to share some details on the experiments. :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
when you do, please don't label them so people can actually hear (or not hear) those changes. Once you know which is which, your mind will play tricks on ya

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok then, I'll do an initial file which doesn't have any reference to magnets, and we'll see what people think. I'll try and get it up tonight.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Well, I have finally started on my V7/V8 pickup magnet experiments.

So far I have worked on the V8 bridge humbucker, and tried out the stock Alnico 5 magnet, Ceramic magnet, and an Alnico 3 magnet.

I've recorded some basic quick samples to give an idea of what the different magnets do. Once I've edited them up into a little sound file package I'll link them here. I thought I'd share my initial findings though.

Well as many have already found out, the V8 is ok stock. It's a little muddy and lacking in clarity, but it could be worse.

The ceramic magnet was really cool. Not only did I get a lot more clarity, less mud, and a bit of twang, I got a noticeable volume increase too! I quite liked this setup, and I feel that many would probably like it too.

The Alnico 3, which was RGTFanatics wish to try was pretty cool too. To my ears it was tonally very similar to the Ceramic, but with less output, and volume. It probably had a cool old school cleanliness to the tone as well. Lots of clarity and just clean crunch. Nothing over the top.

Like I said, I'll get some sound samples for everything, I just was excited to share some details on the experiments. :)
Awesome man....glad to see you got into this project now!!!

How does the A3 loaded V8 compare to say a PAF 36th/ PAF Pro???

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, don't have a 36th to compare against, but I do have a PAF Pro. It's modified with an A8, but retains most of the stock tone. I'll do a bit of A-Bing, but yeah, now that I think about it its probably similar to a PAF Pro. I'll let you decide from the samples I post tonight. :)

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, here's the sound sample file of the 3 magnet types in the V8 bridge humbucker (stock Alnico5, Alnico 3, and Ceramic:

http://www.lonephantom.com/?attachment_id=2959

Excuse the occasional crackling. For some reason whenever I convert the file to MP3 this happens. I need to play around with mp3 coders a bit more I think.

Please tell me which ones you think is which magnet type, and what you think they sound like in terms of other pickups you are familiar with. :)

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
1- Ceramic: great clarity, much more dimensional!!! nice little twang
2- Stock: nothing needed to be said, but it really doesn't sound bad.
3- Alnico3: Your description was dead on!! VERY much like the ceramic but a little cleaner and more definition.

Now don't go telling me I'm wrong here and make me look like a butthead....LOL

I'd love to hear the A3 loaded V8 in the bridge paired with a ceramic loaded V7 in the neck!!!!

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not going to reveal anything yet. I hope to get more responses from members with their thoughts on what was what, and if there were any similarities with other pickups out there. ;)

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone else? Anything compare to these modified pickups? I want peoples thoughts on the differences, and what they may sound like from other pickup manufacturers. I'd like to collect data to report on it for my blog.

Cheers all :)

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Anyone else? Anything compare to these modified pickups? I want peoples thoughts on the differences, and what they may sound like from other pickup manufacturers. I'd like to collect data to report on it for my blog.

Cheers all :)
If you could, it would be cool to hear more clips that include some full chord work and maybe a clean clip..........

The first (ceramic?) sounds a bit like a "fred" but with a little less mids..... I really like how it sounds!!

The second (stock) sounds better than I remember that pup sounding, although I'm assuming it's in a better guitar now........RFR??

I LOVE the third one (A-3?) It's so close to the first but the natural harmonics sound better. I'd really love to hear this doing some melodic soloing through high gain...(always with me,always with you or For the love of God) I think this pup might be great in the neck paired with a PAF Pro.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If you could, it would be cool to hear more clips that include some full chord work and maybe a clean clip..........

The first (ceramic?) sounds a bit like a "fred" but with a little less mids..... I really like how it sounds!!

The second (stock) sounds better than I remember that pup sounding, although I'm assuming it's in a better guitar now........RFR??

I LOVE the third one (A-3?) It's so close to the first but the natural harmonics sound better. I'd really love to hear this doing some melodic soloing through high gain...(always with me,always with you or For the love of God) I think this pup might be great in the neck paired with a PAF Pro.
I wish I had some time to do some more detailed samples. Flat out, barely enough time to do the mods and these samples as it is unfortunately. Combine that with badly agitating my carpal tunnel over the weekend, and I won't be getting a great deal right now.

Didn't record these samples in anything special either. Was in my crappy Saga PRS/LP style kit guitar. Cheap multiple piece basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, TOM bridge.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your thoughts on what the pickups sounded like too, much appreciated. I havent had much chance to play with lots of pickups. :)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
This is a great thread! But I was wondering, where exactly would I find another magnet? |I'd love to try this on my V8, but I'd like to know how to get the proper resources!
Thanks for the great work!

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Check out Addiction FX on the 'bay. Do a search for something like "Alnico 5 magnet pickup" or similar and you'll find them. ;)

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, I've also done the neck pickup tests too. Ran the same three magnet types too, stock ceramic, alnico 5 and alnico 3. I'll try and get the basic samples up over the next few nights. I recorded a short dropped D sort of stoner rock riff, and some lead.

My thoughts were that the stock ceramic is just too hot for a neck pickup. It sounds too thick, even with the ceramic magnet.

I tried alnico 3 next. I personally felt it was too weak, some may like it though.

With the alnico 5 I felt it was pretty good. Not as hot as ceramic, and there seemed to be some more clarity in the pickup as well. I wasn't expecting that from the A5.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn't think a magnet change would make such a difference. I like the ceramic the best
Well that's what I'm trying to show. If you're always broke like me you can quite often turn an average stock pickup into a really nice one with a magnet swap. ;)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts