Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1996 RG570FBL (aka517) Blue Metal Flake. Awesome.

I am really surprised how well the pickups sound! I was immediately planning on ripping them out before playing them.

I was hopeing someone on this board (I just joined) could inform me a little about them (who makes them for Ibanez if so, etc...)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a set from an RG550 I bought recently ... I had specifically bought the guitar to fit some Bare Knuckles ... but I thought the guitar sounded fine with the moderate amount I played. If I hadn't got the BK's on the desk I wouldn't have been in a hurry to change. But, FWIW, I tend to buy/play guitars for what they are as a rule ...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I used the v7 neck pickup for years with no issues. I changed the v8 ultimately for a norton.

The v7 works well with:
Dimarzio ibz bridge
Dactivator
Norton
Tone zone

You can also mag swap between them, putting the neck ceramic in the bridge, and the bridge a5 in the neck.
They supposedly sound better that way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the V7/S1/V8 pickups are pretty neat for stock pickups. I'm not hugely fond of Ibanez' decision to start putting Dimarzio's on these guitars. No matter which Dimarzio pickups you put it, someone won't be happy. May as well let the customer switch them out themselves for something they want.

With that said, I am pleased with the AN/TV/TZ combo that came on my RG2550Z.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think the V7/S1/V8 pickups are pretty neat for stock pickups. I'm not hugely fond of Ibanez' decision to start putting Dimarzio's on these guitars. No matter which Dimarzio pickups you put it, someone won't be happy. May as well let the customer switch them out themselves for something they want.

With that said, I am pleased with the AN/TV/TZ combo that came on my RG2550Z.
I agree.

The tonezone/airnorton is pretty tired and old hat at this point.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
You can also mag swap between them, putting the neck ceramic in the bridge, and the bridge a5 in the neck.
They supposedly sound better that way.
I did the magnet swap in my v7/v8 on my old 520, sounded pretty good. I'm not a real tone snobby guy though, just wanted to try it. That particular guitar just had dead wood.

·
Registered
9,452 Posts
If anyone is interested, here are my details on the magnet swap with the V7/V8 pickups:
'

We had quite the debate here after I posted my results too:

Sorry, some of the links to files may not work here now, they've gotten lost at some point after moving web hosts, etc. :( Not sure if I'd even have those old files somewhere on storage on my computer, but the discussion is all there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Those pickups are underrated for sure. I swapped mine for Evolutions with True Velvet, got better tones for sure, but those are not inferior, just different and tamer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts