Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to figure out what is going wrong here. i have a rg 550 with stock v7/v8 pups. i have rg premium with evo neck, and seymour duncan sh4 bridge. the tone on the after market pickups sounds inhibited somehow. comparing the two guitars, my stock rg pickups sound better in every way no matter what i plug them into. i know sound is subjective, but i think there is something wrong here as in, i’m not getting the full tone out of the after market pickups. people rave about evo pickups and sh4 and criticize the v series in every forum. a local guitar store listened and noticed the diff and said it’s probably just the way the pickups sound. weird. because two different very popular pickups shouldn’t Both sound worse than my measly stock pups. it sound like the tone knob is rolled back on the modified guitar when i play them through the same gear. (marshall avt150, roland micro cube, vox valvetronix) same results. is the voice of these pickups really that attenuated compared to stock pickups? would Any dimarzios give me that same feeling? ps i had an rg years ago with a fred and an x2n i liked them but i had the same feeling about the muffled tone….it’s like the strings sound like they have a plastic coating, or the tone is rolled back. anybody have this experience or have a suggestion? both guitars have a 500k volume, stock has standard tone, modified has coilsplit. i’ve gone over the connections repeatedly, could it be a lousy volume pot? help, please, thanks. otherwise i love these guitars

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Hmmm... Sounds like something isn't right. The Duncan and DiMarzio have different wiring color codes in the chart below... You might just make sure they are wired correctly!
Font Parallel Audio equipment Terrestrial plant Circle

·
Registered
670 Posts
i had an old charvel, that no matter what pickups i put in it, it just sounded dead...it's a rare occurrence but it can happen...a duncan sh5 should sound quite a bit brighter than the v series pickups...check the wiring and the pots (esp the tone pot) or just cheat like i do and take it to a luthier and have them scope it out...d.m.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am trying to figure out what is going wrong here. i have a rg 550 with stock v7/v8 pups. i have rg premium with evo neck, and seymour duncan sh4 bridge. the tone on the after market pickups sounds inhibited somehow. comparing the two guitars, my stock rg pickups sound better in every way no matter what i plug them into. i know sound is subjective, but i think there is something wrong here as in, i’m not getting the full tone out of the after market pickups. people rave about evo pickups and sh4 and criticize the v series in every forum. a local guitar store listened and noticed the diff and said it’s probably just the way the pickups sound. weird. because two different very popular pickups shouldn’t Both sound worse than my measly stock pups. it sound like the tone knob is rolled back on the modified guitar when i play them through the same gear. (marshall avt150, roland micro cube, vox valvetronix) same results. is the voice of these pickups really that attenuated compared to stock pickups? would Any dimarzios give me that same feeling? ps i had an rg years ago with a fred and an x2n i liked them but i had the same feeling about the muffled tone….it’s like the strings sound like they have a plastic coating, or the tone is rolled back. anybody have this experience or have a suggestion? both guitars have a 500k volume, stock has standard tone, modified has coilsplit. i’ve gone over the connections repeatedly, could it be a lousy volume pot? help, please, thanks. otherwise i love these guitars
i appreciate the diagram! i will look at them again to see if i may have routed something wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had an old charvel, that no matter what pickups i put in it, it just sounded dead...it's a rare occurrence but it can happen...a duncan sh5 should sound quite a bit brighter than the v series pickups...check the wiring and the pots (esp the tone pot) or just cheat like i do and take it to a luthier and have them scope it out...d.m.
i’m gonna recheck the wiring to make sure i didn’t louse anything up, and at this point maybe find a luthier who has heard these pickups in action to see if i am going crazy😵‍💫 i appreciate the feedback!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts