Ibanez JEM Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vai fanboys

3K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  elcid 
#1 · (Edited)
Seems like 95% of the people here are some Vai fanboys.

In this thread, explain why he's your god.

#5 ·
Well, to be fair this community is called "Jemsite", not Ibanezsite, Gilbertsite, or Satchsite...Although they would all be cool I'm sure. As such is the name of this particular site you would have to understand how there could be a lot of Vai fans here...

For me, and I do think Vai is the all around best player out there, it seems to be how well rounded he is. Not just musically though...

From his memorable stint as Jack Butler, to his throwback persona as a real honest to God rock hero complete with the fans that blow his hair all around on stage, to the ageless look he has, to his mystical, socioreligious inflections which surround him. He carries himself like a superstar from back in the day and yet has the knowledge and technical prowess of the elite musician. His songs may not be easily digestible to some, and in truth it took quite a few years to "get it" after Flex-Able was released.

Joe Satriani surfed with the alien but Steve Vai is the alien (And yes I LOVE Satch!!) But Vai is as concerned with what he plays as well as how it looks...And sometimes one could hike on what he wears but he is full blown "on" all the time!

One of my favorite songs is "Liberty" and what I love is that there are lyrics to that song and he plays the melody to it...Not a lot of people knew that at the time...I thought that was really cool. His mixture of Eastern and Western sounds and ideas works very well within the confines of what he does. Not too technical, and not too feely, but rather the right blend of playing all the time. Ultra Zone is a great record... His idea for Alive In an Ultra World was fantastic and innovative...The interplay between him and the band when he breaks a string is perfect!

No one likes to see their heroes getting old, and Gilbert (who I also like) looks old to me and Satch does too...So many guys up close lose a lot of that "thing" that made them special... Michael Angleo, Yngwie, Van Halen, Impellitteri, all seemed to get old or not grow... I guess I can't explain except to say that for me and just my opinion is that Vai (the entire package of what he was about) spoke to me on a level different than other players, at a time I was most open to being influenced. I was a huge Kiss fan when I was younger but, of course have outgrown that adulation I had for them when I was 18...Vai always stays one step ahead for me... :)

#6 ·
To be honnest, I have never ever listened to a Vai album..
I've watched both the G3 with Petrucci and Malmsteen, and was disapointed.

Yeah, seems like Satriani and Vai, but mostly Vai, wanted to be on the spot, and both were trying to let the guest left behind.

But yeah I think he rocked anyway, but there was some kind of attitude going on I felt, you know?
-Maybe that was just me..

Would you suggest me an album to begin with?
I'm a decent player I guess, and listened to many great guitarists (Satriani, Greg Howe, Malmsteen, Gilbert, Joey Taffola, Vinnie Moore, many more) but not Vai (LOL hey?).

Thank you fellow guitarists and blogmates.

#11 ·
i prefered vai in the 80's.his guitar work on skyscraper and eat em n smile were shear and pure genius.as for his solo stuff id say i like 75% of it,passion n warfare been my fav album.which ever way you look at it you cant escape the fact that the man comands a lot of respect and has to be right up there with best of all time rock guitarists.

#20 ·
I think Vai is one of the true "guitar gods" but agree that he's perhaps had his "moment".

However you do have to ask, iff you make "guitar music" where do you go after Passion and Warfare? that's a hell of a work to try and better. Any more "shred" and it becomes mindless drivel, and more "arty" and it becomes indigestible. Steve captured it at the summit on that disc.

Likewise, I don't think that within it's product type, that the JEM has ever been bettered either. I guess Steve has double respect then as a guitarist and a guitar designer :D

#30 ·
Opinions are the absolute truth to those who have them. However I know, at least for my part, I'm not trying to change anyone, just exchanging ideas. 80's metal fans rarely become grunge fans, and classical fans rarely become shred fans...so as long as there is a moderately respectful way ideas are exchanged it's all good. Cid has his way and it works for him, I have mine and for us that is the truth. But I'd be willing to bet we could hang and still be cool...

The way Mick Jagger struts and pouts...could it be whacky? not to mention kinda ***

The way Pete Townshend Smashes guitars, and windmills his arm...could it be lame? or childish

The way Ted Nugent goes gonzo on stage...could it be too much?... boring after the second go around

The way Robert Plant wore ladies clothes and postured...could it be fruity? or maybe just plain jigalo

The way Angus Young duck walks in a schoolboy outfit...could it be horribly stupid? yea not to mention ripped off from someone eles.

The way Elvis swiveled his hips and raised his lips...could it be unpleasing? esp if your daughter is in the crowd!

but that's rock and roll, always was always will be
Absolutely!! :D

#31 ·
VAI is definitely an amazing guitar player, but I never was fully into him. I sort of jumped onto the Instrumental music bandwagon much later in my playing and was more keen on the Neo classical thing. When I heard flexable for the first time, I just didn't get it. It was too much to digest at once. It also was a turn off watching Steve make those orgasmic faces he's notorious for. I get it all now, but it was comedy at first.

#32 ·
I'll say this. NOBODY writes music like Vai does. There are many who write the melodic
stuff,blues stuff,feel-good stuff but I have never heard anyone with the ideas like
Vai has. He really has his own music style. After EVH, I don't think anyone beside Vai has
really,really done anything to change guitar playing or guitar instrumental music composition as a whole.
And yes I agree Satch really opened the door but Vai took it to level 9999999999.....

P.S. and does anyone have more attitude that you feel when listening to them play??
I think not ;)

#33 ·
Every time I see Vai live or on DVD I can't help but think of the Zappa song "Shall We Take Ourselves Seriously?" Maybe it's just me....
Great guitar player! Definitely a big influence on me. I really enjoy his songs; not just because he shreds but because I think they're good songs.
Of late, though, I think he's become a bit of a parody of himself. I find myself liking older Vai stuff better. I think he needs to get back to doing another original studio record. Maybe something with a straight up rock feel. The orchestra elements were cool but it's time to move on.

#35 ·
Really? Because loving his musical ability doesn't necessarily translate into deviant love for the guy in my world, and I'm wondering if there's a screw loose somewhere in you to actually believe you are reading that kind of freakiness into the posts, some have written. Just saying... :mrgreen: :razz:

#38 ·
No I didn't grow up listening to Vai.

I did not not that this was a Vai forum before I joined.

I had pretty much left Ibanez aside because I thought it sucked a bit (the reason is that I couldn't find a replacement part for years).

I'm only 25, I've grown up listening to Malmsteen, Macalpine and Micheal Romeo, without omitting to say Petrucci, Paganini, Stravinsky and Bach.

Me, Vai never impressed me. I really liked the show with Zappa but I never became a fan of Vai (yet). There are tons a great players out there.

And people playing with some much exagerated expression (facial and stuff) just pisses me off. As much as when Malmsteen gives a nowhere kick in the air.. Damn I hate that! But he's still a musical genius.

Nevertheless, I will listen to the album you mentioned earlier in the post, and I will post my verdict later.

I'm a noob about JEM, and really never liked guitars with a hole in them to grab them. Thought it was just flashy/poser.

Now I made many ennemies didn't I ? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.