Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let you know (if you didn't know already) that Vai is on the cover and interviewed in Guitar Player Magazine this month. Pretty good article, but what is really cool is he talks about all of his gear and what he uses.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He did not say too much about Carvin. Here is what is said in the article:

"I had been using Marshall amps, obviously, but although they're great, they have a certain historic sound. As I had a long relationship with Carvin, we spent two years developing what became the Legacy. It's a user friendly amp that's not metal or jazz, but it delivers a compressed, warm tone that I enjoy. The JEM plugged into the Legacy is pretty much my sound."

·
Registered
403 Posts
johliatay said:
He did not say too much about Carvin. Here is what is said in the article:

"I had been using Marshall amps, obviously, but although they're great, they have a certain historic sound. As I had a long relationship with Carvin, we spent two years developing what became the Legacy. It's a user friendly amp that's not metal or jazz, but it delivers a compressed, warm tone that I enjoy. The JEM plugged into the Legacy is pretty much my sound."
Thanks!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Does anyone know if this issue (the one with Vai) came before or after the one with Carlos on the cover? Im assuming that the one with Carlos is the June one (its the one in the shops here at the moment) and that the July issue will go on sale here soon...

I havent missed it have I....?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Here's a quote from paragraphs 2, 3 & 5 from Michael Molenda's prologue and introduction to the actual interview.

"Perhaps this is why it's so shocking that the guitar god known as Steve Vai is nowhere near as dangerous as Apollo, Mars and Mercury after a bacchanal at a strip joint. Sure, his frightening command of the guitar can turn lesser technicians to soap powder, and his stellar compositional skills are too advanced for some people to dare comprehend. And, yeah, the man has sold gazillions of records, runs his own label, and has lived more of the rock-star life than 16 seasons of VH-1's Behind the Music.

But, he has also been blissfully married for decades to his Berklee College of Music sweetheart, is a doting father, embraces spirituality and charity, gets kind of goofy about art and dance and history and even keeps bees for crissakes. He's also extremely gracious and approachable- which must be breaking some guitar god rules of engagement...

...In both bearing and action, Vai has proven himself to be a benevolent guitar god who chooses not to hover above the mortal throng, instead seeking every opportunity to celebrate bitchin' noises, creative spirit and deep soul. He's one of those deities who makes it just a little bit cooler to be able to hold a guitar in your hands."

Finally, someone has nailed it as to what makes Steve Vai such a cool person and a great guitarist and composer.

The interview was short and sweet, but very much to the point. Don't miss picking up a copy of this issue of GP.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts