Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed from pictures Steve posted himself on Instagram for the Alabama symphony show that he was using jcm 900 heads instead of the legacy. He did have his signature carvin tube distortion preamp running into the effects loop of the Marshall. Has Vai gone back to his Marshall heritage heads because of the situation over at Carvin? Anyone have any insights into what amp he'll be using going into 2019?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd guess it was the backline that was easiest to get so he didn't have to haul his amps.
That could be true, but he had all of his gear even Thomas N. You'd think because carvin isn't making Amps any more that Steve would naturally fall into another endorsement deal sooner than later. I dunno. But he was using 900's back in the sex and religion day!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I noticed from pictures Steve posted himself on Instagram for the Alabama symphony show that he was using jcm 900 heads instead of the legacy. He did have his signature carvin tube distortion preamp running into the effects loop of the Marshall. Has Vai gone back to his Marshall heritage heads because of the situation over at Carvin? Anyone have any insights into what amp he'll be using going into 2019?
Being free from any contractual obligation to Carvin means he can use whatever amps he likes, Marshall are the logical choice as suitor for an endorsement deal since they could afford it, therefore I'd see it as a subtle hint to Marshall, he's known to be extremely professional, loyal and undemanding as an endorsee, albeit expensive.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Being free from any contractual obligation to Carvin means he can use whatever amps he likes, Marshall are the logical choice as suitor for an endorsement deal since they could afford it, therefore I'd see it as a subtle hint to Marshall, he's known to be extremely professional, loyal and undemanding as an endorsee, albeit expensive.
Why would he be expensive? You saying Marshall would pay him to use their amps?... if he was like Satriani im and had a sig model im sure he would get a cut from each sale, etc but I doubt he would get a cent for using a Marshall Amp from the current lineup... maybe some freebies, etc?

I recall Rich saying a while back even Joe had to buy some of his own JS guitars?

I doubt the 'endorsement' thing is as lucrative as we all think.... unless you're a Kardashian :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marshall doesn't have any shortage of artists. But let's face it this is Steve Vai. He ranks on all Lists of top guitarists for last 20 years. I have a 900 head, and I just about **** my pants when I saw Steve using it. I remember him saying he was using it for most of the sex and religion record. But I digress. Steve has a lot of endorsement deals and if he's using a Marshall, to me, thats like a smoke signal to Marshall to get this done. I'd want to if I were Marshall. But what do I know. Lol.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've seen video of him using the Legacy drive pedal through a Marshall stack before. Kind of indicates his tone being primarily preamp driven I suppose, with the head only serving as a PA to drive the speakers. Its probably just that they are just a commonly available amp in various locations. Orange does seem likely as they are a bit on the dark sounding side, which balances out with EVOs. I'm going to Generation AXE at the end of the month, so it'll be interesting to see what he's running there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts