Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A THREAD JUST FOR THE RECORD IN CASE IT TOO IS COPIED BY OTHERS WHO TRY AND PASS MY IDEAS OFF AS THEIR OWN.

Hi all this is a new paint Idea I had a few years back, please have a look, hope you like them.
They are not for sale I don't paint anything anymore so this is not a sales pitch.

I have also uploaded a video on youtube called "VIAngles" yes I know Steve was all into the pyramids but "viangles" sounded better to me lol

I hope you like them and maybe copy them as a child could do this but I think it looks pretty sweet?

Cheers for looking
H.A.G.O

al

·
Registered
473 Posts
Re: "Viagles" NEW PAINT IDEA by alan Out Of this Swirled.com

Like 'em Alan - like 'em a lot!

If they're not for sale - are any of them finished? complete? ( with hardware pickups necks etc)

Would love to see those pics too!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks SYL, JBM. I think they would have looked way better all put together but who has the time to put things back together of all the guitars I have dismantled and paited I think 3 went back together and they were all sold.

The DNA will end up on the bay I guess and maybe the UV 360. the PMC was done very much in the perfect straight lines way were as the other 3 were more edgey a bit like donnie style a little rough around the edges as doing the 360 with perfect lines was NEVER going to happen.

Thanks again

al

·
Registered
2,878 Posts

That looks so awesome!! Great job, Alan!!!!! That looks pretty innovative! :D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

What was the process for getting that look?
Thanks Guys

The idea is very simple.

you need paints a pencil and some cardboard and a ton of patients.

make some triangle templates with your cardboard, making sure the triangles have different base lengths, so as they all are different ratios thin middle wide, then make some tall some short ect.
now start laying them out on a primed guitar and draw around the shapes with a 3H pencil (something faint) make it as complicated or a open as you like *REMEMBER if you make it very tight and you only have 3 colors you will end up with a lot of triangles converging and have a limited color pallet so you may end up with 3 pink triangles together not a great look but can also add to the supposed randomness of the look. if it's starting to look all one color just add another triangle in to separate the colors.

OKay now you have it all painted in, wait for it too dry fully now barrier coat with clear.
Now it looks pretty nasty as you have no edges you may think I am going to toss this DON'T.

Get your black and draw in the edges then the colors all seem to pop and it takes on a cool quality IMO. again let this dry and barrier over it all again, touch up any areas you are unhappy with and then clear the project. DONE

There are 2 versions one perfectly straight line (or as close as you can get) or very free flowing lines Ala a donnie style line (wobbly) This style looks better to me and take off the pressure as one none straight line and you work can look ruined, on the other hand a few not so straight edges on the wobbly version and it's just part of the effect.

All the best if you have a go, the color combos are limitless each triangle could be a different color, there are no rules.

If anyone does copy it, please post your pic on the end of here if you don't mind so I can come back and see what folks got up to, all the best

HAGO

al

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE ALTER THE TITLE TO READ :"VIAngles" etc please I didn't spot that till now, thanks mods.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts

A thought it might have been hand painted but it seemed like too much time to make.

I like how the triangles wrap around the edges on the last one of the pics.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

A thought it might have been hand painted but it seemed like too much time to make.

I like how the triangles wrap around the edges on the last one of the pics.
It's full 360 and it was a nightmare it took days to paint in and then hours to put the lines in, there would be no reason to paint this other than you love the look as it's hours intensive and even at next to nothing per hour no one would want to pay what it cost, it's a home project only I would think there is no commercial VIAbility here. Then again that never stopped me before, it should have! LOL

See the video link for the 360 from all angles and thumbs it down PLEASE.
VIDEO LINK
thanks again. al.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Dude, it's AWESOME. Now you got me GASsin' for a Viagle Jem :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

will there be a "Cool Ranch" version?

This would be a cool idea for a failed swirl.. the bad parts of the swirl, put solid color triangles over it, then have open triangles in other areas to show the swirl underneath. : )

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

I think I had some Jams™ in the 80s that looked like that.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Re: "VIAngles" NEW PAINT IDEA by alan Out Of this Swirled.com

Looks cool, but what's the deal with the thumbs down weirdness in your video?

and shouldn't it be VAIangles? :D

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

you know, I never really a big fan of swirl or multicolor things.
I'm more into 'military camo' style graphic.
but when looking on this , especially the 360, it makes me want to apply this to one of my guitar...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Looks cool, but what's the deal with the thumbs down weirdness in your video?

and shouldn't it be VAIangles? :D
YEAP MOD PLEASE change the tiltle again if you don't mind (what a complete T*AT! I am)

"VAIangles" I think I was spelling triangles and got myself confused, I have changed youtube but going on all the forum to change this balls up is just embarrassing LOLLOLOLOLOL

Thanks again

al

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

Ya big tool :lol:
Yes to the 2 you emailed me about Al. ;)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Ya big tool :lol:
Yes to the 2 you emailed me about Al. ;)
You know it Al.

Okay mate, I will get them boxed up tomorrow I just need to take a quick video before it's departure. Let me know when your ready, I guess a picture of said 2nd one would be nice too? LOL

I think I only get one mod help card a month?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts