Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the archives and can't find any discussion specifically on Vai's blue wrist support/palm-rest-thingy on the original Charvel Green Meanie. Does anyone know exactly what that thing is? It looks like it was cut from something and I can't figure out exactly what. Anyone have any specific info on how to get one?
I am making a Green Meanie replica and I would like to have the wrist support on the body.
THANKS!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I read it was just plastic and foam to make it more comfortable playing with the floyd rose guitars like that.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Vai came from playing a 25th Anniversary Strat, as you can see in some of the Zappa from the Palladium videos. The support was to keep the familiar Strat pickup/body/trem height he was used to on a guitar with a floating/locking trem. If you're interested in a Green Meanie replica, Matt's Music is commisioning a small batch from Charvel right now, of the guitar as it was during the famous Carvin ad period. You might be interested in that, it will very likely get built by Mike Shannon himself.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44284&highlight=Charvel

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
along what Jim said, when Vai went from fender/traditional trem to a original floyd set to fload, the floyd sat well above the body since it was not "recessed" into the body like all JEMs have been. he also played with his wrist anchored (to the body) alot more than he does now.

the wrist pad was blue foam cut to effectivelyi "recess" the trem in relation to the guitar body. of course soon afterwards the floyd and edge was recessed into the body making this a moot point :) ...glen

·
Registered
962 Posts
jim777 said:
Vai came from playing a 25th Anniversary Strat, as you can see in some of the Zappa from the Palladium videos. The support was to keep the familiar Strat pickup/body/trem height he was used to on a guitar with a floating/locking trem. If you're interested in a Green Meanie replica, Matt's Music is commisioning a small batch from Charvel right now, of the guitar as it was during the famous Carvin ad period. You might be interested in that, it will very likely get built by Mike Shannon himself.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44284&highlight=Charvel
Huh?

Barry White is the guy with the 25th Anniversary strat.

Steve's is just a regular, natural-ash bodied 70's strat.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Gex said:
Huh?

Barry White is the guy with the 25th Anniversary strat.

Steve's is just a regular, natural-ash bodied 70's strat.
I've seen him with both, though you're probably right about the Palladium video. Anyway, the bottom line is that a Strat is a Strat and very different from a guitar with a non-recessed Floyd, and that's the reason for the palm rest on the Green Meanie.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
He had already started chiseling out the area under the trem in some of his guitar bodies when he recorded Flex-Able.

Mikey :)
vai.com

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I didn't know that Barry White played a Strat or any other guitar for that matter.

Ray White, on the other hand, played in Zappa's band for quite a few years. One of his favorite axes in the 1980's was a 1979 anniversary Strat. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts