Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv seen on Vai's website he uses 1 or 2 marshalls. i know for sure 1 of them is a jcm800... do you know if it moded? somebody else told me he had a jcm2000 or something and moded it... does anybody know if this is true and if so what did he do to it?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I kinda doubt the he has a JCM2000.

The JCM 800s vai uses are HEAVILY modified by Lee Jackson ( www.leejackson.com )
Some of my most favorite tones came from those amps (Eat em and Smile, Passion and Warfare)

Im not sure, but I think he used some JCM 900's for a short time during the early 90's. I have an add on my computer for a "Vai Rig Sweepstakes" or something like that, and you could win certain things from vai's rig, like an Eventide harmonizer, Universe guitar, ect, and one of them was a JCM 900 stack. Whether he actually used one or not is debatable, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
whats a point of getting a jcm ----- if your jsut heavily modding it... jsut get a amp already close to the sound you want..

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
if you want a vintage marshall sound and are on a budget the carvin x-100b is your amp. It is a fairly simple layout and i don't think it would be much to have one modded. Steve used them as well as frank zappa, i am not sure how steve got the sound he did out of them but none the less they are great amps and are extermly loud.

They are growing more and more popular as people rediscover them and find that they are a extremly good vauled amp and can rivial most vintage marshalls under the right conditions.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Gex said:
I kinda doubt the he has a JCM2000.

The JCM 800s vai uses are HEAVILY modified by Lee Jackson ( www.leejackson.com )
Some of my most favorite tones came from those amps (Eat em and Smile, Passion and Warfare)

Im not sure, but I think he used some JCM 900's for a short time during the early 90's. I have an add on my computer for a "Vai Rig Sweepstakes" or something like that, and you could win certain things from vai's rig, like an Eventide harmonizer, Universe guitar, ect, and one of them was a JCM 900 stack. Whether he actually used one or not is debatable, I suppose.
One of them is a Lee Jackson mod, while the other two are Jose Arredondo-modded. He used them during the DLR and Whitesnake days, and probably used them on Passion and Warfare also. Steve recently looked into selling them as he no longer uses them, but nobody made the right offer...

Mikey :)
vai.com

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
His #1 Marshall was a 1971 Super Lead modded by Lee Jackson.

He also has a JCM 800 modded by Lee Jackson but that is mostly a backup to the 71 to my knowledge.

·
Registered
962 Posts
its gorgeous.

I must ask the noob question: DO YOU HAVE N E SOUNDCLIPZ PLZ THNKZ.

But seriously, do you have any soundclips or videos of you playing it? I've never come across a X-100B, but it sounds like what I'd like from the countless reviews ive heard.

I wasnt planning on modding it, haha, im not rich. :)

Thanks Jim.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have an article where he said that his favorite amp was the JCM 900. I think that was around the Sex and Religion era. That was actually why I bought my JCM 900. To bad mine turned out to be a POS. :lol: Damn thing was always blowing up! :(

·
Registered
882 Posts
Oh yeah, and he also has said that he always loved that X100B, but they pretty much MADE him use Marshalls with DLR.

Did anyone else get the free Carvin DVD? LOTS of cool stuff on there. Over two hous long, and over an hour of bonus material. For FREE! :)

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
P&W was and is the undisputedly BEST sounding guitar album Steve's made IMHO. That's the Marshall coupled with the Universe.
It's sad he's not playing the 7 more these days....

On another note, I've grown quite attached to my new Mesa Boogie and favor it more than my Marshall for it's tone these days. Then again, I'm really getting into John Petrucci's style of play lately. I'm loving Dream Theater more and more....guitar music you can really sin k your teeth into!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
whatshisname said:
I have an article where he said that his favorite amp was the JCM 900. I think that was around the Sex and Religion era. That was actually why I bought my JCM 900. To bad mine turned out to be a POS. :lol: Damn thing was always blowing up! :(
Really? I have never had problems with mine or my friends when I borrowed it except the reverb died on it (he never used it anyway so no big deal!).

I have a SL-X. Basically a factory modded JCM800 with a 4th 12AX7 and without clipping diodes. Does a pretty good old school Vai tone if I make an extra effort with my hands...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts