Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I would like to gently ask for your expert opinion on the value of a "beaten up" 777 dy. I've been interested in buying one for a long time, and now there is one that popped up, but it's in a rough shape...
the owner is asking for 750 for it. I think it might be too much, i'm thinking more along the lines of 600(ish). It's pretty beaten up and it has a sticker on the top, but the bridge seems not to be too used or worn out. No idea yet of the fretwork, and there's no cracking in the neck apparently.

See a picture here. I understand this is limited information, but hey, otherwise it'll be too simple!

Any suggestion is welcome. Also regarding specific points to pay attention to

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm afraid you'll find no 777 lower than 900€.
His askingprice is just way to low. I paid 650 for my dy and that was about 15 years ago.

Sebastian is referring to his us market which is always a little lower.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
750 euro's is worth about $1000. If it's in good condition the neck alone is worth $500-600.

Of course more pics of the whole guitar are needed to give an idea of it's value.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It still may be new enough as far as vintage goes that people may still expect things in great condition but one day ANY Jem will bring in money due to scarcity.

Look at the damaged pre-CBS Fenders and pre-Norlin Gibsons people are ready to buy despite refins, trashed frets, and dings so bad most of the paint is scratched off the body. I think it's coming to a time that any Jem is worth buying if the price is right. Then you can fix it up but even then a refret or swapping out original pickups or hardware could seriously hurt the value of the instrument.

·
Registered
304 Posts
No idea yet of the fretwork, and there's no cracking in the neck apparently.

See a picture here. I understand this is limited information, but hey, otherwise it'll be too simple!
Get more pics for sure man as it's pretty rare to see a Jem777 without cracks at the neck heel joint, plus you gotta see the whole beast before you buy.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
It still may be new enough as far as vintage goes that people may still expect things in great condition but one day ANY Jem will bring in money due to scarcity.

Look at the damaged pre-CBS Fenders and pre-Norlin Gibsons people are ready to buy despite refins, trashed frets, and dings so bad most of the paint is scratched off the body. I think it's coming to a time that any Jem is worth buying if the price is right. Then you can fix it up but even then a refret or swapping out original pickups or hardware could seriously hurt the value of the instrument.
Hasn't that always been the case???:D:D:D

Just bustin' your chops man....... that WAS funny though

·
Registered
348 Posts
Buy it and play it. My SK is stripped and beat to hell. I play it all the time. I also have a floral in "player condition" lots of dings, scratches etc. I gig with it as well.

The mint ones stay at home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts