Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's.... I happened across a 2003 invader in nearly immaculate condition. The seller is asking $999 with free shipping. I talked to him for about 1/2 an hour about the guitar, but couldn't tell me much about the things I really wanted to know.

My main concerns are about the quality and brand/type of bridge. I'm also helping someone can tell me about the neck (radius, thickness, shape...etc) and the G&L blade single space pickups....... I would appreciate anything else you think of.......

Here are some pics:

·
Registered
321 Posts
From what I've heard, the G&L bridge is solid, and I don't know about the pickups, but they look neat. To me, that top and the Birdseye maple make it worth the price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The bridge is G&Ls own saddle lock bridge, the six saddles are "locked" together by the locking set screw on the side. The whole unit is recessed into the body and contributes greatly to extra sustain. It is also used on the G&L ASAT Special and hardtail versions of the Legacy and S500.

http://www.glguitars.com/features/SL-bridge.asp

The pickups are a Duncan JB in the bridge and Gotoh Power Blade humbuckers in single coil size in the neck and middle. Mini switch is a coil tap for the humbucker. Neck is 12" radius, 1 11/16" wide at the nut. The actual neck profile for a 2003 model may be slimmer than more recent G&L guitars, best to ask the seller for a comparison with other guitars he's played. Mine is not very slim, and not very thick, it's in between and comfortable to play. The tuners are G&L branded Schallers.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/guitars/invader/index.asp

I got my own lefty Invader Plus, HSH configuration, last year for about $850 or so. It's also a 2003 model, custom ordered by it's original owner. The body is mahogany with a maple cap, same as the one you are looking at.

btw G&L don't make this in lefty ....

·
Registered
695 Posts
G&L are top quality guitars.

Just in case you don't know, they're the Company Fender (That's the L) started after leaving Fender. They're fantastic guitars, but I can't tell you neck specs or anything like that.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bridge is G&Ls own saddle lock bridge, the six saddles are "locked" together by the locking set screw on the side. The whole unit is recessed into the body and contributes greatly to extra sustain. It is also used on the G&L ASAT Special and hardtail versions of the Legacy and S500.

http://www.glguitars.com/features/SL-bridge.asp

The pickups are a Duncan JB in the bridge and Gotoh Power Blade humbuckers in single coil size in the neck and middle. Mini switch is a coil tap for the humbucker. Neck is 12" radius, 1 11/16" wide at the nut. The actual neck profile for a 2003 model may be slimmer than more recent G&L guitars, best to ask the seller for a comparison with other guitars he's played. Mine is not very slim, and not very thick, it's in between and comfortable to play. The tuners are G&L branded Schallers.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/guitars/invader/index.asp

I got my own lefty Invader Plus, HSH configuration, last year for about $850 or so. It's also a 2003 model, custom ordered by it's original owner. The body is mahogany with a maple cap, same as the one you are looking at.

btw G&L don't make this in lefty ....
Wow... thank you so much for the help guys!!! Especially you Southpaw!!!

I think if this one were emerald green like yous, I wouldn't even hesitate to buy it. Seeing that the one I'm looking at is $150 more than yours Southpaw, do you think that the birds-eye neck and fretboard make up for the difference in price........ I'm not a big birds-eye fan, but I do know that it often carries a premium.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Just in case you don't know, they're the Company Fender (That's the L) started after leaving Fender. They're fantastic guitars, but I can't tell you neck specs or anything like that.
The funny thing is.... in '96 or '97 I picked up a G&L bass (L-2000) dirt cheap from a local store. I though it was a cheap fender knock-off. It was only $125, so I bought it thinking I could use it for recording or something like that........ I ended up giving it away never knowing what it was......lol

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I have an alder bodied HH spec one. I wanted a fixed bridged strat style guitar and didn't like anything Fender had to offer. The neck on mine is quite thick, which I prefer for the sort of playing I bought the guitar for.

Superb guitars, and that bridge, as mentioned before, is brilliant.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow... thank you so much for the help guys!!! Especially you Southpaw!!!

I think if this one were emerald green like yous, I wouldn't even hesitate to buy it. Seeing that the one I'm looking at is $150 more than yours Southpaw, do you think that the birds-eye neck and fretboard make up for the difference in price........ I'm not a big birds-eye fan, but I do know that it often carries a premium.
Mine also has a birds eye neck, it just doesn't show in the pics due to the light / camera angle. Used prices on these tend to be way over $1000, but they do come up for sale for less every now and then, so I'd say the one you are looking at is a decent price. One thing about the Gotoh pickups, they don't really sound like a typical strat, they're warmer with less treble and quite a bit more output, so if you're looking for predominantly strat tones an Invader might not be your thing.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

I think Leo worked for Musicman before starting G&L, but yes, high quality "Fenders" they are. In fact, the G is for George, who was also an early Fender guy and worked with Leo then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts