Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions? i'm thinking about getting it (can't afford a XXX). I would really like to hear some soundclips since there aren't any at peavey.com. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I never noticed too much bass even when I turned it to 10. The distortion was kinda ick when I used it. Never heard of anyone using it for metal. Basicly its them making a cheap tube amp. What genre do you play? You can probably find a 5150 or 6505 for a good price if you save. If I had one of those, the first thing Id play would be the Top Gun thing he did. Tell me some of your main interests and we'll figure something good out for ya.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr.WizardNeck said:
I never noticed too much bass even when I turned it to 10. The distortion was kinda ick when I used it. Never heard of anyone using it for metal. Basicly its them making a cheap tube amp. What genre do you play? You can probably find a 5150 or 6505 for a good price if you save. If I had one of those, the first thing Id play would be the Top Gun thing he did. Tell me some of your main interests and we'll figure something good out for ya.
I play mostly rock, satriani, vai, yngwie, old school rock like metallica, sabbath, zeppelin, etc. I feel that the 5150 is just too "metal" for me, i think the amp suits more people who like lamb of god, and other bands like that, besides, i wouldn't be able to get a kinda vaish or satriani tone. Really appreciate the help guys. Oh, and the price rang ewould be around $500-$600.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The 5150 is Eddie Van Halen's personal amplifier. You can get his stuff with it and probably a lot of the stuff you mentioned too. Metallica used a Mesa but you dont have the money for that me thinks. I personally would love a Road King but thats a couple grand right there. Try the 5150 and maybe with that popular modded DS-1 for some extra sweet tone for solos. Just give every amp a try.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, i was thinking between the XX or the 5150, i'd sure like to hear some samples of those, since they don't have either of those amps here.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The XXX I felt was very fuzzy. There are loads of artists that use the 5150 and not just Metal artists either. I got this list of artist that use it off of wikipedia.

Joe Satriani - (Soloist)
Steve Cropper - (Booker T & the MG's, The Blues Brothers, signature endorser)
Gary Rossington - (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Michael Amott - (Arch Enemy)
Bobby Burns - (Soulfly)
David Ellefson - (Megadeth)
Seth Fenton - (Seven Deadly Sins)
Rachel Flotard - (Visqueen)
Robb Flynn - (Machine Head)
Björn Gelotte - (In Flames)
Stuart Hamm - (Soloist)
Terrance Hobbs - (Suffocation)
Vince Hornsby - (Sevendust)
Dan Jacobs - (Atreyu)
Jason Jones - (Drowning Pool)
Kipper - (Sting)
Mike Kroeger - (Nickelback)
Dan Loader - (Soloist)
Guy Marchais - (Suffocation)
Travis Miguel - (Atreyu)
Paul Mirkovich - (Cher)
Ted Nugent - (Soloist)
Matt Roberts - (3 Doors Down)
Jordan Rudess - (Dream Theater/Liquid Tension Experiment/David Bowie)
Matt Shamblin - (Soloist)
Jesper Strömblad - (In Flames)
Andy Taylor - (Duran Duran)
John Taylor - (Duran Duran)
The Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Adrian Vandenberg - (Vandenberg, former Whitesnake, former signature endorser)
Eddie Van Halen - (Van Halen, former signature endorser)
Vern Zaborowski - (CKY)
Verdine White-(Earth, Wind, & Fire,former signature endorser)
Rudy Sarzo-(Whitesnake)
Jeff Berlin - (Soloist; former signature endorser)

Lots of great bands and some that we wish never existed (Nickleback.....).

·
Registered
219 Posts
I hear good things about the VK212's but have not got to use one, as far as the XXX is concerned I have a head and a Super40 and the both are 'fizzy' but distinctive, I like them, but not as much as my 5150, which is brutal but controllable, you can back off with the right settings ot a semi clean sound, but not as good as the VTM Peavey amp...which with most of the mods on sounds like a modded marshall really coold shred sound i use one live, my favorite ones are my 2 ultra, the ultra120head and 112 combo, the best of all sounds in my opinion but i dont carry them out live for fear of damage to them (thats why i have a spare VTM) also the classic series...which i have a 20,30,50, and 100 watts ...yes.. all Peavey ....i dont have the JSX yet...which is my next amp purchase.... (smile)
personally I would look for a Peavey Ultra 112... if you want a combo amp, I just bought a nice one off E))) for $310, and is great.

mpx (i really like Peavey)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mr.WizardNeck said:
The XXX I felt was very fuzzy. There are loads of artists that use the 5150 and not just Metal artists either. I got this list of artist that use it off of wikipedia.

Joe Satriani - (Soloist)
Steve Cropper - (Booker T & the MG's, The Blues Brothers, signature endorser)
Gary Rossington - (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Michael Amott - (Arch Enemy)
Bobby Burns - (Soulfly)
David Ellefson - (Megadeth)
Seth Fenton - (Seven Deadly Sins)
Rachel Flotard - (Visqueen)
Robb Flynn - (Machine Head)
Björn Gelotte - (In Flames)
Stuart Hamm - (Soloist)
Terrance Hobbs - (Suffocation)
Vince Hornsby - (Sevendust)
Dan Jacobs - (Atreyu)
Jason Jones - (Drowning Pool)
Kipper - (Sting)
Mike Kroeger - (Nickelback)
Dan Loader - (Soloist)
Guy Marchais - (Suffocation)
Travis Miguel - (Atreyu)
Paul Mirkovich - (Cher)
Ted Nugent - (Soloist)
Matt Roberts - (3 Doors Down)
Jordan Rudess - (Dream Theater/Liquid Tension Experiment/David Bowie)
Matt Shamblin - (Soloist)
Jesper Strömblad - (In Flames)
Andy Taylor - (Duran Duran)
John Taylor - (Duran Duran)
The Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Adrian Vandenberg - (Vandenberg, former Whitesnake, former signature endorser)
Eddie Van Halen - (Van Halen, former signature endorser)
Vern Zaborowski - (CKY)
Verdine White-(Earth, Wind, & Fire,former signature endorser)
Rudy Sarzo-(Whitesnake)
Jeff Berlin - (Soloist; former signature endorser)

Lots of great bands and some that we wish never existed (Nickleback.....).
so Satriani, David Ellefson ,Jordan Rudess and Stuart Hamm play 5150... uh......

·
Registered
17 Posts
carlos grijalva said:
What's your point.
I'm point is that the list is Satriani does not nor has he ever played a 5150, David Ellefson is a bass player
Jordan Rudess is a keyboard player
Stuart Hamm play another bass player.

that list is for pure promotion...and not accurate...

Like the 5150 because I like the tone of IN flames....

but non-metal musicians are a minority as users

but whatever works for your is good....

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ibycan7 said:
I'm point is that the list is Satriani does not nor has he ever played a 5150
El Wrong.

Satch said in an interview that he's used Peavey 5150s and Classic 50s for alot of rhythm tracks.

And many musicians often dabble in many instruments, and may have used guitars on solo albums or something like that.

Just because the instrument that their famous for doesn't use a 5150 doesn't mean that they down own one or haven't recorded with one at one time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts