Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new amp for $1,000 or less that does a decent job of getting that old marshall-VH type tone, specifically that Diver Down meets 1984 tone. I love that tone because it's very overdriven while at the same time very warm and CLEAN. Marshalls are just too expensive otherwise I'd just get a JCM 800. I've heard great things about Laney's, but I've never actually heard them myself and quite frankly I don't even know where to find them. I'm open to any suggestions cause I'm running out of ideas. I've played Mesa's, Peaveys, Fenders, Crates, "other" Marshalls, B-52 ATs, and I just haven't found anything that I really like. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I've checked into those and the legacy, I've never played either one, but all the reviews I've read about the Carvin MTS has been that the lead channel is pretty muddy.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I dissagree on the MTs and 5150. The MTS has a bit more of a silky distortion, and I think the 5150/6505 is absolutely lifeless. For someone who LOVES Eddie's old tones, I absolutely HATE the 5150. I had better luck dialing in his tone on a $500 Peavey Valveking head, with a 6505 right next to it.
I love Laneys, especially the AORs. Check out E***. See them, there, all the time. They seem to have jumped up, lately, though, in price.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would get a Laney Pro Tube.

I put mine on the crunch channel yesterday, and dimed it.

Sounded VERY EVH! I was surprised.

I need to get some greenbacks, and it would probably complete the sound.

I'll also need a power attenuator.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Any with a british tube/valve tone going on. Laney or Marshall should get you there. The 5150 is obviously a clear choice as well. But I'd probably go Laney, just because I prefer their tones. The GH series would be perfect for what you want by the sounds of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts