Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My name is Marcel, I am from the Netherlands and I recently bought a 1990 777vdy. It's in good shape and it plays great. Also, I loooove its looks! I feel if you go over the top in a design, why not go waaay over the top!

Anyway I have two questions for you knowledgeable guys:
1) It has two identical H-pickups labeled DiMarzio V1, which I assume are PAF Pro DP151's.. My question is shouldn't they be two different ones for neck and bridge (V1 and V2 or something)? The whole thing looks original, without any signs of tampering, but still I wonder...

2) The pink pickup covers are badly faded, which I guess is normal in these guitars, but I feel it would look so much better in that garish pink! Does anyone do replacement covers for this color, or know of somebody who does?

Thx, Marcel

·
Registered
879 Posts
1. Not sure about the V1 labeling, hopefully someone more experience might know something, but both bridge and neck humbuckers would originally have been PAF Pros. They would have been identical.

2. There are bobbin toppers, but those are literally just stickers. They would probably look terrible. I would just leave it as is and appreciate the fact that you have a nice vintage instrument!

·
Registered
485 Posts
2. There are bobbin toppers, but those are literally just stickers. They would probably look terrible. I would just leave it as is and appreciate the fact that you have a nice vintage instrument!
Or you can sell them to me for my dy and buy yourself some new ones!

·
Registered
965 Posts
keep the faded ones, it's a characteristic of its age. It'd be like saying "I might give this '67 strat a respray as the paint's really worn away and looking old"

..... if you do swap them out though, don't chuck em or sell em. You gotta keep the old gear.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
my 777vdy is all origanal but it only says dimarzio on the pickup no v1.unless it says that on the back of the pick up but cant imagine it.you can buy the pink bobin toppers,see max cottam (cottam guitars banner at top of page) if that fails try jaden rose,but i know for a fact you can buy em.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, obviously I wouldn't make any permanent mods like resprays.. Anything I do to it should be reversible... and I keep the original parts...

Any thoughts on the pickups?

·
Registered
879 Posts
To add to what I said earlier, again I would recommend NOT doing anything to those pickups. Either switch them out and hang on to them or completely leave them alone. I would (and have) done the latter. I'm a firm believe that this stuff gets better with age. Seeing a 777 with non-stock pickups makes me sad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not planning on doing anything to the pickups,although I had expected more gain from them, I was just wondering about that V1 labeling.... Here's a pic from the back... both pickups are labeled DiMarzio Made in USA V1 and a letter F of F-spacing I suppose... Oh and, I will leave the pickup covers alone:)

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
I am not planning on doing anything to the pickups,although I had expected more gain from them,
PAF Pros are medium output. Keyword here is PAF! They're not intended to drive an amp. They're intended to keep a lot of clarity when played through a rig with lots of effects and the gain dimed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, actually the PAFs sound great for nearly everything, also heavily distorted riffing, I just feel that for soloing the guitar could do with just a little more punch.. But I guess for that I'd have to go for Breeds or Evo's.. I have a few distortion pedals (digitech distortion factory and blackstar ht distx)... have to experiment some more...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Well, actually the PAFs sound great for nearly everything, also heavily distorted riffing, I just feel that for soloing the guitar could do with just a little more punch.. But I guess for that I'd have to go for Breeds or Evo's.. I have a few distortion pedals (digitech distortion factory and blackstar ht distx)... have to experiment some more...
I agree, I love them. What I meant was that in there in the Yngwie/Lynch school of "driving the amp = bad". Gain hasn't been hard to come by for a very long time, unless you're specifically going for a vintage single channel amp sound. If you've got gobs of gain, and you understand what the original point of high output pickups was, low vs. high just comes down to preference.

Whatever you do, keep those pickups safe and have fun with your axe. :D

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Like he said, if you're looking for a bit hotter pickup, you could just stick something else in there and keep the old PAF Pro's on the side in case you ever feel like parting with the guitar. The next owner would almost certainly want the old ones.

·
Registered
839 Posts
They seem to be original and untouched because the neck pick-up is reverse mounted. They are good for soloing and GREAT for Hard-rock/Classic Heavy-metal riffing but too woody for modern rock/nu metal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, just for the sake of argument, would it work to stick an EVO-bridge in it and leave the other two?
Again, all mods I would do to it would have to be reversible, and I would keep all the old parts.. Also, I have noticed that it's good to be patient with these guitars.. let them grow on you... not rush into any hasty botch jobs...
Not planning on selling it in the near future;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Of course it would work to stick an EVO-bridge in it and leave the other two!
That´s basically what I did with my JEMs. The EVO sounds close to the PAF PRO, but it has much more outtput. I like the combination very much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What I DID do is put a big brass sustain block in it, about twice the size of the original one (which of course I'm hanging on to) .
The improvement is dramatic and all of a sudden what appeared to be a lack of gain, is remedied by more sustain... clean and distorted... it just sounds and feels heavier!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I had a a questions about the same pickups and It seemed pointless starting another.

Last week I purchased a pair of Dimarzio buckers In the UK advertised as original Steve vai pink pickups, the seller had a buy It now of £65 on them, the auction was only a couple of hours old so I jumped on them before someone else did, I'd been looking at evo's Fred's etc at about £80 each in the UK.

All the seller could tell me was they had Dimarzio made In the USA F and V1 stamped on the base plate.

when the pickups arrived I put a meter on them and they read 8.3 and 8.9 and the only V1 Info I could find listed them as a neck pickup to go with the V2 bridge and for a while I thought I had two neck pickups.
I've since discovered the V1 V2 are the Ibanez ones not Dimarzio and on closer Inspection noticed mine had one pickup flipped for splitting so I guessed they were a pair after all, which seems to be confirmed by this thread.

So my question Is are these pro's or something else, I'm a bit confused by other pro's having the DP 151 stamp.
mine also have two small holes In the bobbin top I've noticed quite a few with three.....Thanks

Sorry for the hijack marcelvdy, but It does seem to confirm you have a pair the same as mine with a PAF style lower output bridge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re my post above, I received an Email from Dimarsio saying the V1's are Paf Pro's, were made exclusively for Ibanez and could be about 20 years old.

I think Ibanez having v1 and v2 pickups didn't help us less experienced guys find the Info we were looking for also with them not being sold to the public they're not listed anywhere.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts