Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a guitar body using the stew mac neck pocket jig to rout the neck pocket.
Yesterday, i bandsawed the neck i am making just outside the lines.
Getting ahead of myself *typical novice mistake*, I didnt check the measurement of the width of the neck pocket and then the width of the butt of the neck, to make sure i will get a good fit.......as a result, I bandsawed the neck, just outside my lines, went to check the tightness in the neck pocket of my guitar body, and there is a considerable amount of space/room on both sides of the neck between the pocket and the neck sides.

For the professionals, what would you do to fix this?? Or do I have to make another body with a smaller neck pocket to compensate for the very loose fit?

I dont want to pitch the neck because it has a very nice inlay on it, and it is an ebony board, its just a little too skinny for the neck pocket.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
How much is " a considerable amount of space"? Give us a measurement ... it will change the answer.

The answer also depends on how concerned you are with the appearance, as opposed to just function. (some fixes may work but not necessarily look as good as you would like)

The fretboard is already in place, right? (You mentioned the inlay.)

You are most likely looking at either patching in some wood in the neck pocket or making a new body. If you are going to use a solid finish, you should be able to create a durable patch that isn't detectable when done. For a natural finish, you are probably stuck remaking the body.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say there is 1/16" on each side.

The fretboard is already glued on

As far as appearance, I dont mind it being a little loose, but it is too loose now, and you can see the spaces. It is not that important just as long as the neck doesnt move, stays centered in the pocket, and plays like it should. It's not that obvious, unless you are focus on it.

Maybe putting thin wood strips might work, the finish won't be natural so it wouldnt show, plus the neck will be a little thicker after the lacquer is put on, so that should help.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
So this is the fretboard you are trying to remove in the other thread, right?

The finish will add some, but nowhere near that much. Glue in some thin strips of wood in the pocket. With a good job of filling and sanding, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference under a solid color finish. But then, if you have already decided to try to replace the neck, you can go that way too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts