Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Im hoping someone can help a little bit. Im totally clueless
on how I would get this to work. Or if it would even work in the first place.

I have the volume, tone, rotary setup on my PRS. I want to replace the rotary with a 3-way. It will do the usual bridge/both/neck switching.

Heres the weird stuff. I want to have 2 push/pull pots in the volume and tone
positions. In the tone position, the actual pot will do NOTHING, but pushed in is full humbucking, and pulled splits to single coils.

Then have the volume pot bypassed when pushed, and activated pulled. For live use when I just want my volume on max I can just leave it pushed in. But if I want to use it for tonal changes from the pickup I can just pull and adjust. Also If I leave the pot rolled down, then it becomes an on/off switch. Which is something I've always dug on guitars.

So is this possible?? Some say yes. Some say no. Where I'm really confused
is with the volume pot. Can I bypass it like that?? Thanks for any input guys!

chris

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's completely doable and completely easy. Coil cuts on a push pull are easy and you can find diagrams for that all over the place. Just don't wire the actual tone pot. For the volume pot you would wire it up normal, except the push pull mechanism would come between the signal. So the 3-way switch hot would go to the center tab of one side of the push pull switch. Up would be sent to the first lug of the pot, down would be sent to the output jack.

On the other side of the switch, the output jack hot would go to the center. Up would be sent to the middle lug of the pot, and down would be sent nowhere, or you could use that tab as the junction for the output jack from the other side of the switch.

Sorry if I'm not explaining it well, but I'm sure you or a competent tech can figure everything out from what I'm saying. I don't really have time for a full blown diagram, though. If anyone else does, then I can come back and double-check it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That helps very much Frank thank you! It makes perfect sense to me now so
I'm eagerly awaiting the pots I ordered. I dont even think I need a diagram
at this point. Ill reply with my outcome.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That would be a cool thing... However, the vol mod cut pp switch would not be so great for quick tonal changes IMO, the normal method of fingering it would be easier and faster. I think its great for a sort of "hot" switch... bypassing the vol pot (a 500k aye?) will add a touch of brightness/presence and power to your tone. You might like, you might not. Welcome to modding! :)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
you know there is actually a way to use the tone knob as a blend control that lets you "dial in" how much of the other coil you want in the mix - the very first Peavey (The exceptially ugly T60) had this feature - haven't seen it since though, so maybe in reality it sucks........

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's pretty cool. I use it sometimes with stacked single coils, like the IBZUSA's. That way you can balance between getting a little of the hum cancelling from the lower coil, but keeping the tone of the top coil alone. It's cool to do with regular humbuckers, too. But mostly I just want to go from single to humbucker with a switch. But since Chris will have nothing hooked up to the tone pot, it would be a fun addition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.