Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can a worn or faulty volume/tone potentiometer (or whatever you wanna call them) cause a guitar to hum when I don't touch it (the humming stops as soon as I touch anything metal on the guitar)?
PLEASE HELP
Thanks
Best regards
Jon ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will do, any clues to which it may be or could it be any? Could the loose wire actually be on/in my pickup rather than nearer the pickup selector (meaning I would have to remove the pickups to get at it)? I've noticed if I move a certain group of wires the hum increases- this supports the earthing problem suggestion right?
Thanks
Regards
Jon

·
Registered
18 Posts
you have a multiple ground loop problem.happens in alot of guitars.look into copper shielding tape,or metal conductive tape.just yesterday i coated the entire pickup cavity and the back of the pickguard on my rg350dx, because i was putting in an evo in the bridge, and that guitar used to hum like a cheap whore..worked great with aluminum tape i got from the depot,they use it to wrap ductwork.the next step would be to eliminate the ground loop prob.if theres alot of grounds going to a single pot, re-route a few to anither, or to the spring retainer.hopw this works for ya

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up being a mixture of worn pots, and dodgey light bulbs (the guitar was picking them up) LOL. Thanks alot for your help guys
All The Best
Regards
Jon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts