Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most guys here have great taste in tone and like similar stuff to me. The kind of sounds i guess im going for a similar to dream theater (awake album, scenes from a memorry album). Which amp gives the most valve like tone and would suit dream theater and metallica type tones best. Im not into solid state tones at all. thanks guys.

·
Registered
873 Posts
how much money you got?? if yu'd rather have one great tube tone for some music like DT and Metallica, buy a used Mesa. Rectos, Mark IVs, and Nomads can all hit a little different varations of sounds from both of those bands as well as a lot of others.

however if you must stay in the modelers, the Vox always sounded more real to me than any Line 6 amp

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had the Vox AD120VTH. It was very easy to use, and had some great hard rock sounds. Very tube-sounding, but not what I would consider a metal amp. I haven't owned the HD147, but have tried 'em out (and do own an XT Live with the Metal Pack, which has, I believe, the same sounds). It's much more metal-oriented, but not as tube-esque (new word just created). :)

Looking at your needs (one great sound, no need for stereo effects, etc.), I'd have to agree with adamcbest. It sounds like you'd be happier with a tube amp.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the reason i want a modelling amp:

i do not want to have to get the amp biased when i change tubes

I would like to be able to change sounds with one click of a footswitch.

I do like a variety of sounds (not loads tho)

Im not sure if i should get an amp or an amp modeller a la Podxt. At home i play headphones and when i play at a mates house there is an amp there. I would like to take my own sounds there and a pod is easier to transport. I can then put it through the amp there. I would probably need an amp for live but we dont play live yet. Would a modeller b better, and if so, whick should i get - Podxt or tonelab se. I would prefere the pod but i dont know what u think is better.

BTW. i guess im not really going for a normal 'metal' tone. Im not going for a dimebag tone at all, more tube like (i think - i have never played a tube amp).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the VOX Tonelab Se and a POD XT and the vox mostly sucks with its for show 12ax7 tube with a led light behind it pretending to work. The POD has kick ass tones and easy user interface.
This is the reason i want a modelling amp:

i do not want to have to get the amp biased when i change tubes

I would like to be able to change sounds with one click of a footswitch.

I do like a variety of sounds (not loads tho)

Im not sure if i should get an amp or an amp modeller a la Podxt. At home i play headphones and when i play at a mates house there is an amp there. I would like to take my own sounds there and a pod is easier to transport. I can then put it through the amp there. I would probably need an amp for live but we dont play live yet. Would a modeller b better, and if so, whick should i get - Podxt or tonelab se. I would prefere the pod but i dont know what u think is better.

BTW. i guess im not really going for a normal 'metal' tone. Im not going for a dimebag tone at all, more tube like (i think - i have never played a tube amp).
[/QUOTE]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.