Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying this amp, as my V-Amp going through a SS practice amp tends to sound a bit muddy. Basically I like the V-Amp, but I would like an improved sound, clearer with more definition, more open. I believe the culprit might be the amp's speaker.

So my thought was to buy the VOX, and even use it with the V-Amp if I need a tuner :) However, I have tried the Tech21 Trademark 10, and it sounded too harsh and ear piercing, whereas I would like a creamy smooth tone, much like a VOX or a Framus. So the question is will the AD30 deliver this tone, or will I get stuck with some ear-piercing and overly compressed POS?

Another thought is whether the 10'' speaker of the AD30 will be enough, or should I go for the 12'' AD50? I like the more open sound of a larger speaker, but AD50 has a cooling fan as well and I tend to play at very low volume.

Finally, how long does the valve last? Can I just swap it when it goes bad, and how easy is the process? (I am not that inclined when it comes to electronics but I can change a light bulb :) )

·
Registered
536 Posts
IMO go for the AD50VT. The speaker is actually very good sounding. This isn't to say the one in the AD30VT isn't but, the AD50VT's tone sounds as good as 1 or 2 of my 2X12 cabs. As an added benefit, you can even use it live if you wish--it's loud enough.

I have a V-AMP Pro and I can't tell the difference between my guitars when I play thru it. The Vox is DEFINITELY better!

The 12AX7 in there should last YEARS so no worries.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
12AX7s dont die very often, plus when they do you can pull them out and put a new one in yourself for about $10-15 for the cost of the tube.

A 12" speaker is worthwhile over a 10" alone so go for the AD50.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main concern about the AD50 is the fan. I have read some reviews about it being annoying and I will use the amp on low volumes inside house anyway.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Dinosaur said:
My main concern about the AD50 is the fan. I have read some reviews about it being annoying and I will use the amp on low volumes inside house anyway.
I have read that too when I was looking at them. That put me right off because I really didnt want to be listening to a bloody fan all the time. And I dont think there is a way of stopping it without it over-heating. Because I am pressuming that the fan is there to cool it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The AD30 has a great sound for a 10" speaker. The bass is incredible for such a small amp. This amp is only for personal practice. The AD50 would be better if you need to keep up with a band. Both are great amps.....................just made for diffrent uses.

·
Registered
536 Posts
As far as my particular AD50VT goes the fan is almost inaudible. You only hear it when you turn it on... as soon as you start playing (low volume too) it's gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.