Ibanez JEM Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I might have to give this a try too.. really hate the gold hardware on mine :(

Any idea how it's holding up? That is my only fear. I've done some relicing in the past and the de-etching solution I used took down chrome too but kept on going to rust the parts. While I was after the rusted look, I wonder how the de-plated chrome holds up?

Let us know ;)

H

·
Registered
425 Posts
i think the chrome that comes with a new chrome edge is different from the 'chrome' you get off stripping the gold off.

when you strip the gold off, whats revealed is actually the bare metal thats used to make the trem, not a chrome plating, which over time, when in contact with corrosive sweat, will start to, well, corrode. not pretty.

i've seen the gold rubbed off on gold hardware then sweat getting to the metal.bad corrosion. i would not go ahead with this myself...

the chrome that comes on a 'chromed' new edge is much more durable.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i think the chrome that comes with a new chrome edge is different from the 'chrome' you get off stripping the gold off.

when you strip the gold off, whats revealed is actually the bare metal thats used to make the trem, not a chrome plating, which over time, when in contact with corrosive sweat, will start to, well, corrode. not pretty.

i've seen the gold rubbed off on gold hardware then sweat getting to the metal.bad corrosion. i would not go ahead with this myself...

the chrome that comes on a 'chromed' new edge is much more durable.
While it is true that the chrome is not the same or as durable as real chromed parts (probably not actual chrome either) it's not the bare metal either.

The finish you see when you take off the top guilded layer is an intermediate layer (nickel based?) necessary to guild the underlying part, which is most likely far darker (zinc based)
There may even be additional (copper based) layers, necessary for the electro-plating process.

If it is indeed nickel-based some people may get an allergic reaction to the stripped trem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
well then the gold hardware on my friends fender trem must have been manafactured differently then, or something. his trem is the reason why i'd never get gold hardware. gives my nightmares. lol.

i don't think he suffered any allergies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We haven't heard any news on how it's holding up?

I think I'm going to just get some hardware because of this issue with it holding up...

H

·
Vendor
26,321 Posts
Your gold hardware has value right now. Once you strip it not only will you spend many hours ruining it, but it's then worth very little. Replace it with the right parts and then sell off the gold to recoup most of what it cost you. That would be the smart choice anyway.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey Bro,
How's your hardware holding up?
Has stripping the gold off caused any ill affect?
That really IS a beautiful guitar!
Peace!
This 7vwh has been my main player since I got her from Rich in '03 and while I love her to pieces, there is one thing i was never terribly fond of: That (imho) gaudy gold hardware.

First I thought about equipping her with some nice new chrome or black hardware but I soon realized that this would be way to pricy.

Desperate to find another solution, I stumbled across this post on the usenet:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec....read/thread/cd894f85e08afa30/3af2cb6e61e1cd69

I haven't seen this done here before but as cheap as I am I thought I'd give it a try and take some pictures to share them with you.

I didn't find any Maas or Flitz polish but some generic chrome polish should do the job:

Five bucks? Perfect.

I put the polish on some soft cloth and started to rub that little machine head:

Jackpot! Nice and shiny chrome.
I didn't need to apply a lot of force as the gold plating is very thin (Ibanez seems to be as stingy as I am).

Two more to go:

The machine heads look a bit reddish in this picture but that's just the light. (Talking about light, if you want to try this for yourself, use bright, cold white light. I had three lamps turned on but as they were very warm lights I missed some spots. I didn't discover them until I reassembled the guitar and took her to the bathroom (don't ask); the cold, bright fluorescent light showed a lot of gold spots left and so I had to completely take her apart again.)

After polishing the machine heads, the string three, the nut, the three little screws and macgyvering the g-string:

Now on to the heavy stuff. Polishing the bridge turned out to be a major pain in the ass. The little parts, the rough surfaces under the saddles and all those corners made it one tedious job. You'd be better off if you've got the right tools. Nonetheless, after another six hours and a bathroom-enlightenment the mission was accomplished:

Another phenomenon you can marvel at in this picture are the effects of my magic sweat which ate its way through the (pretty thick) chrome plating and revealed some nasty looking metal. Anybody knows a cure for this?

I also polished all the screws and the pole pieces on the pickups so the only gold left is the Ibanez logo and the brass stuff on the machine heads which look pretty cool like that. Alltogether it took me about ten hours spread over two days to get the job done.

I personally love the new look; the ice cold shiny chrome looks great in person and fits the guitar perfectly.

One final picture:

------

Another little thing which isn't really worth an own thread:

It's some kind of feedback-generator/half-assed sustainer which works like the Sustainiac Model C.

The guitar signal is fed into a vibrating unit clamped on the headstock and makes the neck vibrate which in turn vibrates the string and creates a feedback loop. I just used a little speaker which I ripped out of a cheapo PC speaker as the vibrating unit. The whole unit works with very low volume and so you can go nuts with feedback orgies without annoying the neighbours. And playing with a vibrating neck just feels so awesome.

It isn't really usable as a sustainer right now as you can't control which harmonics are fed back to the guitar; you would have to code a program/build a circuit which analyzes the signal and sends back only the fundamental frequency/2nd harmonic/3rd h./etc.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
This actually would allow me to possibly own one. I've always hated the gold hardware, and hate gold hardware in general, but that looks very very cool.

Elvis has left the building ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Anybody know if this will work with Cosmo hardware too?

And anyone know what products you can use in the UK? I tried brasso but it wasn't working very well if at all. :(

61 - 79 of 79 Posts