Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm redesigning my entire rig and now it's down to the wah. I don't mind spending some $ on one if it really does the job and I don't even really use a wah that much but I can't stand one that sounds bad. I'm using my bass players Vox right now and I definitely like it better than a Crybaby but if there is something better I would get it. I want something that doesn't get too shrill on the top end and that is effective at all levels of gain.

Give me your wah advice and experiences.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I have the Dunlop DCR-1SR rackmount crybaby.
I love mine, since you have 6 different curves and a w way EQ with boost control and 4 controllers are possible at different locations. I just use one.

The flexibility is great for me.

Perhaps to keep it more in line with a reasonable cost, the Dunlop 535q lets you choose your center freq and gives you some more control over the range you play in. http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/crybaby/products/535q/index.html

I know a couple guys here have the Fulltone Clyde and I know there are a ton of guys with the Bad Horsey. Its all down to preference.
I posted an MP3 forever ago of mine and the various ranges, I don't know if that MP3 is still out there, but I know I don't have it anymore.

I would demo whatever you can find.
I'd kind of like to check out the Zvex stuff. The probe models seems cool.

Bamm

·
Registered
115 Posts
As stated, lots of people here like the bad horsey (including me). One of the best wahs Ive heard in a long time is the Budda-wah...it sounds incredible.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i'll second the budda wah, i love mine...good for high gain stuff as well as clean/medium sounds, and very quiet with no tone loss...and its chrome and purple... :lol:

·
Registered
304 Posts
One name; Stuart Castledine.

I had one of his (a custom board in an old Jensen (?) crybaby shell) and it was quite simply superb; I've ordered my own board to go into an old crybaby shell I had lying around. Massively tweakable, handwound inductors, power conditioning, buffers so you can run a fuzz after wah, all sorts. Cracking stuff. :)

www.wah-wah.co.uk

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
HIS ROYAL DARKNESS said:
two more words.............

Teese RMC3

spend a day with it, and you'll never use another wah again (those words NOT included!)
Good recommendation there, those things sound fantastic as well...and I believe at a more reasonable price compared to the fulltone stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a bunch of wahs for sale. I have new Dunlop CGB-95, I have modded wahs, I have a modded Bad Horsie, and I mod wahs. I have info and clips on my page. Give me a shout if you see anything you like.
Jerry

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
My suggestion? just surgically remove the one from Kirk Hammett's foot. Not only will you not be out a dime, but millions of guitarists worldwide will owe you a thank-you. ;)

-D

·
Registered
395 Posts
dot-dot-dot said:
One name; Stuart Castledine.

I had one of his (a custom board in an old Jensen (?) crybaby shell) and it was quite simply superb; I've ordered my own board to go into an old crybaby shell I had lying around. Massively tweakable, handwound inductors, power conditioning, buffers so you can run a fuzz after wah, all sorts. Cracking stuff. :)

www.wah-wah.co.uk
stuff that roll-your-own!

My Ibanez Wah-Wah died yesturday. :cry: It was a WH-10 but somehow one of my supplies had the polarity reversed and I don't know how? 8O I am not using the multi- thingies ever again! Luckly it only cost me about £30 ish so I am not that bothered!

I am going to make my own using www.wah-wah.co.uk their sister site http://www.green-fuz.freeserve.co.uk/wah.html has lots of great mods for the crybaby and vox wah wahs!

I am going to make my own deffinately (I am also going to wind my own inductor!! :p )

Its in the early design stages yet but I will sure as hell put it on this site for you all to read about (plus schematic!)

Anyways back to this threads point. If you can afford it the Fulltone is pretty amazing as well as the Teese (I think both of which were derived from the early Vox wahs? Hence the Clyde and Mccoy namings?)
:twisted:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
First, you might try a search, you'll probably find lots of wah posts.

FWIW, I've been through...

Morley Bad Horsie
Dunlop standard crybaby
Dunlop rack (sounded great, but wanted just a pedal)
Vintage Crybaby (Sepulvada)
535Q

...at that point I really liked the 535Q for the money, but then I dipped into the booteek waters...

Fultone Clyde
Teese Wizard
Teese RMC1

At this point its a toss up between the Wizard (very strong focused signal, optimized for distortion) & RMC1 (a bit more waaah on each end)...these seem to have more raspy edge that the Fulltone (very hi-fi), which I like.
Greg

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's not really a pedal, but I like the wah sound from my Line6 AX2. the controller is very smooth and doesn't feel like it's thunking from bass to treble...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I second the Teese wahs. Geoffrey built me a custom RMC3 last fall and it is a KILLER pedal. I previously was using a 535Q and thought it was ok, but the Tees just blows it away...easily.

You might also check out the new dunlop rackwah, it should be available right about now.

·
Registered
383 Posts
RSVampire said:
the line 6 one models after a vox wah I believe

I have 3 words for you!
"wah wah pedal"
:lol:
It is actually like a wah pedal... you rock it back and forth... it's just really smooth. One of the better parts of the amp. I just wish I could "move" it in the signal chain, I like to have the wah after a distortion box and before the amp distortion. Try it, it's un-real....

Perfect wah sound: guitar --> MIJ DS-1 --> Boss CH-1 --> wah pedal (your choice) --> JCM800

it's heaven...

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm still a strong Budda Wah fan after using mine for years and years... There may be better wahs out there, but not for me :wink:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Perfect wah sound: guitar --> MIJ DS-1 --> Boss CH-1 --> wah pedal (your choice) --> JCM800

it's heaven...
I've always had my Wah Pedal first in the chain.. absolutly positively the first thing after the guitar.. but thats just my choice I guess

·
Registered
330 Posts
ukwan said:

it's heaven...
I've always had my Wah Pedal first in the chain.. absolutly positively the first thing after the guitar.. but thats just my choice I guess
I'll second that. Tuner - Wah - TS808 - Amp! Things just sound mushy to my ears if I put the wah at the end of the chain.

I use a tech21 Killer Wail by the way. Sounds amazing and looks really compact and classy too!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
i have a standard crybaby. what a great piece of gear! although the effect it gives is kinda limited :? i nowadays use the wah of my PODxtpro.
i think it's modelled after a vox wah.
btw are there any differences between Bad Horsie I/II?
except that II has another sound in it. is the basic sound the same?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts