Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, but haven't found any conclusive answers either way, so excuse me for posting this if it has already been answered and I've missed it.

I own an '02 RG550 (maple fretboard, it's a beaut) and I need somewhere to put it, because the case is just in the way, sitting in the middle of the floor. I've heard conflicting arguements about wall hangers, the main one being stress on different areas of the neck. A wall hanger would be great for me, as I don't have any floor space, and really convenient, I'm just worried about my pride and joy taking a leap off the wall one day when something decides to break.

It won't even be too high up tbh, but I just want to clarify this. I know guitar shops all use neck hangers too, but guitar shops don't always have the healthiest looking guitars on display (at least around here they don't).

Thanks for any help you can give
tTz

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I don't see it as a problem. I've just put a few hangers up, and I know people who have them hanging all of the time. You just need to get a quality hanger, install it into a stud, and don't have it directly below or above an air vent or register - that's one mistake I have seen, and a friend of mine ended up with a pretty twisty neck on his Jackson. And, perhaps most importantly, it looks really cool to have a sweet Ibanez or two hanging in your house. :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Guitar hangers are pretty cool. I saved a lot of space using 10 of the hercules wall hangers for my guitars. Having one hanger in a nicely situated spot actually makes the room look nicer. A row of wall hangers with some nice Ibanez's on them is even better!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
hanging is cool.

make sure you get a quality hanger that won't marr the finish on the neck. i use five stringswing hangers, and am happy with them.

next step is to get some spotlights fitted to aim at the hanging guitars. i did this. it was that or have my jem enclosed in a revolving glass case...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I made this one myself in a couple of days...

The U-shaped notches to hold the guitars I cut with a coping
saw and lined with felt. The back board has two large (nickel sized) holes drilled in it which fit over two 4 inch bolts which are screwed into wall studs. The top board is supported by four angled buttresses at about a 10 or 15 degree angle so gravity makes the guitars slide towards the wall (so they don't fall out of the hanger. I've had only one fall, and that was because my wireless unit was still a) plugged into the guitar and b) attached to my belt when I walked away. Ouch.) The butresses are held to the back board by dowels inserted and glued into holes that pierce the back board. (This is easier than it sounds... glue the buttresses in place, drill holes in the back board that intersect the buttresses, squirt in some glue, shove in a dowel and saw it off. It's as easy, or easier even, than nailing.) (hmm, on proof reading that all sounds vaguely freudian. Oh well. :) )

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm using the Wallacher small wood guitar hangers, which are available from AMS. When I first received 'em I was a bit skeptical, since they only mount to the stud with only one screw, but they're actually pretty sturdy.

Originally I was hanging two guitars, but have since moved to a single-guitar display:

Anyway, for the money, I think they're pretty nice.

--B

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Here's a few of mine I just put up, sorry for the crappy quality, I just grabbed these real quickly this morning and I was actually going to post them in the "Show us your S Series and RGs" thread - String Swings on the individuals, and I bought the Ibanez one from a guy on the auction site that we dare not mention:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gpenguins said:
And, perhaps most importantly, it looks really cool to have a sweet Ibanez or two hanging in your house. :)
Amen, I love the pictures of peoples' guitars hanging up. Plus, my walls are looking kinda plain anyway. :p

Any specific makes to look out for/avoid, or are they all much alike?

/ot - love that JEM a few posts up. That a real one (ie genuine Ibanez), or a custom job?

Actually, all the guitars posted are really nice (just had a proper look). I like the Ibanez logo on the wall too. :p And the hollowbody PRS is beautiful!

:edit:

I want all those guitars now. :(

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Here's an older shot of my wall. I've sold off a LOT of the stuff on there because I just wasn't using it. I went and found some nice oak slatwall and got a bunch of the Kaman Show-all hangers that music stores use. Really nice, heavy-duty high-quality stuff. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.